New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: help- design of chamber/ bore
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Yep, that's it. I have a Mauser on hand- others would be better_ flex-wise. I might look around for an older remington- one tapped for peeps. But I am used to the Mauser 2 stage trigger & like it well. Another disadvantage of the mauser is the need to feed the round from the magazine. hmmm... What are you thinking? Dale

Posts: 301 | Location: Xenia,Il. 62899 | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Dale, why does the bore need to be .002" smaller than the bore riding section of the bullet? I'd been of the impression that as long as the bore riding section was of bore diameter it was OK. I'd be reluctant to make a bore significantly undersize relative to standard specs, because you or someone might want to shoot it with jacketed bullets sometime, and I suspect it'd raise pressures a bit. Seems to me that .300" or even .301" should work. Leade angles and such I know little about, but I'd want the chamber neck and throat to fit as closely as possible to the maximum size tolerance of the brass thickness and bullet diameter.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another thought. I would neck size the brass only. Lee collet die or whatever. Assuming concentric chamber/barrel dimensions , neck sized brass with proper nose riding diameter/support should start said cast bullet properly on it's way. Some would say the .308 is too big. I want a case full of a slower powder. That has worked good in the past. Dale

Posts: 301 | Location: Xenia,Il. 62899 | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok Dale. Little more backround.

Are you tied to a Mauser action? I assume this is on hand?

This is the design right?

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I need your thoughts!
I have a new NEI 4 cavity mold that makes a bullet very similiar to the Lyman 311332. I want to reverse engineer the rifle to shoot this as a high performance loaded .308. So, we take the nose diameter (assume .301) and subtract .0002 and have a custom barrel made with a bore diameter of .299. Since this is a nose riding design, let us order Enfield 5 groove rifling- lands and grooves of equal width so that the lands are 1/2 of the bore. This is to stabilize the nose. The groove diameter would be whatever the as cast diameter of the bullet is "minus" .001 or maybe?? .0002. ( example: Bullet band size of .309 as cast minus .002 = bore size of .307.) The bullet as it came from the mold would be loaded to the length required in the .308 case. ie the check in the neck and the grease groove in the neck also. ( It would have to fit in the magazine also.) Now for the part I know the least about. How to cut the chamber? Since I only use military brass, I would send the loaded rounds to the 'smith so he would know how to cut the chamber where the neck is. BUT how to cut for the nose of the bullet. The bullet is here:http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog.html
.308-190-GC-#63 with .301 ogive. I would want the chamber to support the nose of the bullet BUT be loose enough to extract the loaded round also. Just ahead of the nose- a quick lead to the full nose riding diameter. Just ahead of the bullet's driving bands- another quick lead to bore diameter. Could a gunsmith make a chamber to fit the round as I intend to load it? How would you make the chamber/leade?
Dale

P.S. Simply put- I would make the loaded rounds with that bullet- how would you design the chamber/bore?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Aladin- I sit here with red face at goofy mistake on measurement! LOL! I knew better ! Actually I am leaning toward a Mauser actioned target gun/play thing- good peep sights @ 22 inch barrel or so. Maybe a custom stock. You know- an old fashioned target rifle. Since I have this mold and will be able to make all the bullets I want to shoot, I want this rifle to shoot that bullet regardless of any other. 2400 FPS is the goal in .308 Win - at 1 or maybe 2 MOA. ( 2MOA is plenty good for a field gun. That is competitive at silhouettes. A friend proved that to me. ) But still, 2 MOA 10 shot groups with peeps is a good goal. Yes, I could buy almost any of the high end jacketed slugs and be there tomorrow aftenoon. But I want to make these slugs. And I want to be my own supplier- kind of like the old days.

I am a good ways away from mass producing the bullets right now. When I get everything lined out, I will sent out a few dummy rounds ( hmmmm... sounds like something I would make!). Then maybe I would have this rifle teach me how to shoot long range in the field.

I have no idea on barrel maker. I would rather spend a few $ more and have someone who KNOWS how to make it right. Consistent internal measurements with proper finish and stress relief would be a good place to start. Shooting cast bullets at a slow rate of fire- this could last me a long time. Leave enough metal so as to set the barrel back at some time in the future should the throat go away. The price would then average out to a reasonable figure.

I copied/pasted the link to the address and hit go. Click page 5 and it is 8 down in the 2nd column. It is a long nose riding design with gas check and one big grease groove. It is very similiar to Lyman 311332. I would guess(??) the B.C. to be around .320 to .335.

I hope this helped. Dale