New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 with liquid lube
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
can i take a regular grease groove type 400-500 grain cast bullet and tumble lube it with lee liquid lube and get 1200-1500 fps with out leading in a 458 win mag .thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
you might get away with up to 1200 but i doubt if its going to work much past that unless everything else is perfect. Alloy Size ect.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Certainly gas checked or not is an issue.

Tim K
(trk)
Cat whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i could load them with gas checks if need be .i guess what i,m trying to ask is liquid lube as good at preventing leading as stick lube. thanks

One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
Aply a coat of LLA and size the bullet
Then add another coat

I drive a 350 gr RCBS bullet at 1700 fps out of my 45/70 with no leading doing it this way

John

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
johnch thanks that the kind of info i need .i,m going to try them in a 458. win. mag with a 500gr.out of a lee mold the ones i checked are coming out .460 thou. i thouhgt i would try them without sizing maybe tumble lube 2-3 times.what do you think.

One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ho:
johnch thanks that the kind of info i need .i,m going to try them in a 458. win. mag with a 500gr.out of a lee mold the ones i checked are coming out .460 thou. i thouhgt i would try them without sizing maybe tumble lube 2-3 times.what do you think.

Sounds like a sound plan

Just make sure you flair the case enough or use a Lyman M die
Need to protect the base of the bullet as you load it

John

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dropped my hot 405 gr 458 linotype bullets from my Lee Aluminum Mold into small a pan with about a 1/2 inch of Javelina Alox lube then removed then with long tweezers or forceps to cool worked for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Johnson's Paste Wax (JPW) is getting lots of good reviews on the cast bullet forums. I guess you melt it and tumble lube.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Lee TL type molds have many grooves for the liquid alox to get trapped in. Regular mold bullets will still retain the lube somewhat. I would think at your modest velocity the bullet hardness and bore fit would contribute more to leading that the kind of lube. Liquid alox is all I use in .359" and .417" homecast, water quenched, gas check, wheelweight alloy at more than 2000fps. No leading problems.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An experience from this weekend:

45-70 - Lee custom 420 or so grain TL bullet (Designed by Ed Barret of St Jo, MO; I did the cad work - group buy on Castboolets).

28.5gr of 4198 with dacron - estimated 1300+ fps and then the same load under Lyman 420gr flat nose flat base.

Bunches of bullets (50 to 100 each).

TWO wet patches, two dry patches to get each rifle clean!

Both shot well.

Tim K
(trk)
Cat whisperer

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ahhh. Second bullet was in .458WM

Tim K
(trk)
Cat whisperer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Man alive I miss the edit function.

First bullet was LIGHTLY lubed with thinned down LLA and rolled in Motor Mica.

Second bullet was lubed with 50/50 old Alox/bees wax.

Tim K
(trk)
Cat whisperer

One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
TRK Edit is the eraser in the lower right corner of your post

This weekend I was shooting a Lee 500 gr bullet at 1600 FPS
That I lubed with LLA
Out of my 458/284 ( a little longer than the 450 Bushmaster )

After 10 - 10 shot groups
1 patch with solvent
30 seconds of scrubing with a brush to losen the burnt powder
A few dry patchs
And the barrel was clean

John

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU

one of us
posted Hide Post
I lube mine with Ex-Lax--it knocks the shit out of anything it hits.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am shooting .458's out of my 45 cal Muzzleloader. I am shooting a 472 gr whitworth bullet with 90 gr of pyrodex P. I am getting 1390 out of the load. I poured a bunch more bullets this weekend. Some 315 minies, some 385 gr hollow base pure lead .458's and some 385, hollow base .458's poured out of chilled lead shot. The lead shot bullets are HARD. I put one coat of LLA on, on saturday. I am thinking these will be in the high 1400's to low 1600's depending on which bullet I use. DO you think I should lube them more with the LLA? thanks. Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ron ,i do my 458 at least 3 times, seems to work decent ,but i dont know if lla is meant for black powder

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am trying several different lubes. Right now the lube from Ls'stuff is great. I don't have any of his high speed stuff right now so i am trying the LLA because I have it. Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote