Find
Notify
Tools

Lead pot and a GFCI circuit???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

I was given a nice RCBS lead furnace that hasn't been used in about 10 years. No sign of any significant problems from the outside.

Plugged it in and it heated for a while and then popped the ground fault interrupter on the shop cuircuit. Pot got to about 230F before it went. (Had a thermocouple in the pot at the time.)

This is the first time I've tried to run a pot in this shop. All of the 110 circuits have Ground Fault Interrupts in them.

Did I just plain boo-boo in doing this to all the circuits? Or do I need to test the pot on a circuit without one before I know if I goofed?

Getting back into making slugs after a long hiatus ... happens ... when you retire sometimes you have time to do things again.

thanks,

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Carroll B>
posted
Popping a GFI means there was too much leakage current between one of the lines and ground. This could be due to something as simple as a little mositure in the wiring of the pot or it could indicate a more serious problem with your pot. Try emailing RCBS and asking them for advice. Their reloading equipment carries a lifetime warranty but I think there is a time limit on electronic devices they make. To be safe you need to find out why the GFI popped and fix the problem with the pot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've run on a GFI circuit for years. Check your breaker, you may need to up the amp rating on that particular circuit.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2 wire cord or 3 wire. If 2 wire use a volt meter to check for voltage beteen the metal of the pot and ground. I used to have a pot that when it was heating up(2 wire cord) had 40 volts to ground until the alloy was molten and then the voltage would drop to less that 1 volt to ground. On 3 wire you could have a bad ground connection. Check ohms from the ground pin to the metal case of the pot. too much current on the neutral will also trip a GFCI.

Posts: 210 | Location: Willamette Valley | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the RCBS pot, with the three wire cord. I have used it for about 3 years on a circuit that was not on a GFCI. Than after moving my casting equipment to another area that only had a GFCI, it would not stay on longer than 2 minutes. Took it back to where I had it and it worked fine, so I put in a regular outlet at the new location and never had another problem.

Posts: 26 | Location: West Hemlock, PA | Registered: 08 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Put another RCBS pot on the same circuit ... both are 3 wire pots. It ran fine, but was started with half a load. First pot had been left with full load when last used.

Haven't figured out if first pot is bad.

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote