New
Find
Notify
Tools

lead and oak
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
thought someone here might like to see this. I got bored and decided to split some Oak logs with cast bullets.

Here is the link:
http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=782646&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=21&fpart=1

Posts: 355 | Location: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: 07 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
When my dad was a kid he split logs by drilling a hole in the end with a brace and bit, pouring in a little shotgun black powder, inserting a fuse and tamping it with clay. He didn't get to do that much of course, as it was too expensive, but it worked well. He was out blasting stumps with both black powder and dynamite when he was about 9 years old. People were much more reasonable about things like explosives and guns back then. (He was born in 1911, in Alabama.)

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
So, did the bullets actuaslly split the logs as shown, or did you split them afterward to display the bullets?

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
I test all my new loads with my 2 foot basement log (hickory) before going to the field/range/dump/river. I don't care about boolit performance per se, but I am looking for the powder/primer speed characteristics in that case-size/bullet-weight circumstance. I measure fired case diameters to get an idea on how this "new" combo is working in terms of pressure consistentancy. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, the bullets did not completely split the logs but after 6 shots they were very cracked and it did not take too much effort.

Also I updated the pictures to add some pure lead bullet we shot and recovered.

Also the Pure lead seemed to cause more of a reaction than the harder alloys. The log really jumped and danced with the pure lead.

David

Posts: 355 | Location: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: 07 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
David, I wish you would reduce the file size of those photos so us slow-connection dial-up boys could download them.

Posts: 108 | Location: Northcentral Louisiana | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I once watched an elderly gentleman split a stump about 3 ways w/ BP. He bored a rather large, deep hole in the stump with a brace and bit , filled it with BP, fused it and sealed the hole w/ a homemade wood plug. He carved a notch in the side of the plug to allow for the fuse and tamped it in with a hammer. I was amazed at the results!

Posts: 234 | Location: 40 miles east of Dallas | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote