Find
Notify
Tools

Sizing hard cast?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted
I have some hard cast bullets that ar eintended to be used in 45 Long Colt, and I would like to see if I can size them to load into a 45ACP.

The bullet is just slightly too large in diameter to chamber in my pistol.

I've been handloading for years, but I know little about cast bullets, as I have never needed to use them beofre.

Can I buy a sizing die and 'trim' these bullets down to size? Or is it not worht bothering?

They are already lubed.

Thanks Smiler

375 Ruger- The NEW KING of the .375's!!

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First, I wouldn't bother. But if you just gotta make them work, try a Lee sizer. Probably less than $20. It should work if you are going from .454" down to .451\.452".

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
It should be a piece of cake. Most supposedly "hard" commercially cast pistol bullets are actually anything but hard. And that's fine for pistols....in fact it is often desirable as they more easily obturate to fit the barrel throat/bore.

Anyway, you could assign your 3-year old to pulling the handle for that .002" bit of re-sizing. It is generally that easy.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have sized many hard cast bullets in Lee sizers. Just buy the proper lee sizer and run them through might have to put a little more pressure on the press handle but they well size.

I even resize jacket bullets 429s 300 grs to 416 to shoot in my 416 taylor works well one needs a good press.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
pdog, I have been sizing .429/300 down to .423 for my jeffery & use a .427die first then go to .423. It's still a lot of work. How do you go all the way to .416 & how is accuracy? My resized 300gr shoot pretty well out to 100yds, around 1.5moa. beer

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do it in one pass on a big old Texan press and extension handle. Iam thinking of building a HYd one.

They sho0t great I haven't shot them past 100 but at 2640fps the well shoot nearly one hole.

At 50 yards it is one ragged hole.

They work well on deer also.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote