New
Find
Notify
Tools

Conversation with Dave Lee
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Rang Mr Lee up the other afternoon and had a nice chat. He's a skin disease or disorder now for several yrs which sounds quite a PITA but the man is good humored and very knowledgeable. Dave hasn't been able to shooten for some time and expects another yr or so till recovery.

Dave has won the CBA BR title a time or two, has set some records and shot cast groups in competition under .2". Yeup.. that'd be one holers with a 30 cal. What I found interesting was his practical outlook on his setup. No fancy reamers needed, one of his setups was an 06 Ackley improved chambered short at 1.6 something inches. Grind the sizing and seating die down to length if needed and go for it. NO big $$ in dies-- really all that's needed is a throater which isn't gonna break the bank. That's 2 degrees included angle or 1 degree per side for the throat. That Eagan 212 gr 30 cal design with the bore rider and tapered section to full groove + is the bullet... same concept and design that inspired a commerical design... Lyman 311644. More recently he's used the 308 Win as a short at 1.5 some inches. Neck dia's are tight... I'm not gonna discuss those specs... just confusing. But that bullet can only go forward-- and straight.

If I can find a common sense way to cut a 1.5 with the neck dia I want for my dies I might go ahead. Be a nice caliber for evaluating lubes etc...

Dave's smithed for yrs and shot many forms of competitive rifle events. Thanks for the time Dave.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
aladin, that's interesting. I have just recently talked to a fellow that did the basically the same thing except in 6.5 caliber and using a PPC case.

Joe

one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Yep, the 308x1.5 is a great one, and in standard form too, i.e., not ackley-ed. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Necks in a single-shot, target only gun, should be thinned such that boolit seating (by finger insertion) stops, during bolt lock-up, at the exact, or at a very slightly tight headspacing arrangement on the boolit. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Once the gun/chamber is made, then one has to find a powder speed that will do justice to the load combo. Therein is the problem with case capacity. For the 308x1.5 the capacity, using 160-180 grainers, there was no acceptable powder/primer combo 20-30 years ago for an exact headspace. The condom loads at the time required a tight boolit headspace. Today, the powders in this speed range for 30-35 grain cases in 308 bores are much more plentiful. Fixing a gun up with a tight headspace would still be my choice, however, just in case I could not find the powder/primer combo in time for a serious match. Besides, a tight headspace allows more shooting before the barrel wears down enough to require a different boolit shape, length, or whatever. ... felix

one of us
posted Hide Post
ok since it got brought up......
yep i got a true br chambered full length 308 win.
the neck is .334 loaded ammo is .3323....(an ar10, single shot)...small group to date is 0.116"

THE brass for 308 in std length or short is LAPUA. this stuff is so consistant that it spoils br shooters.

i shoot full cases of vv n140 with 134 br condom bullets......1/16 twist bbl.
the two '98 7.62x52 parker hale bbls are 1/13 and 1/14 twist.
the 1/13 handles 168 at about 3/4moa with the 1/14 being a dedicated cast boolit shooter still in development.

Posts: 55 | Location: aurora,co | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote