New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Mirage
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
There are pictures of his shooting house and test range in the book, take a good look at them before making any conclusions about no mirage effect. What you do versus what he did or anybody else does are completely different.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mirage will eat your lunch. Dont squeeze till the target sets still and looks round like it does when you hold it up close. SLW

Posts: 59 | Location: 15758 Butte Mt. Rd. Jackson CA. 95642 | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm working my way through "The Bullet's Flight From Powder To Target", and it ain't easy. Franklin Mann discusses mirage on pages 177-180; describes his testing, and concludes that "...no mirage could be detected, in slightest degree, to affect telescope lenses or change the position of cross hairs on target up to 200 yards."
I've read the section many times, and think that I understand what he said and what he did.
His conclusions seem to fly in the face of the conventional wisdom concerning mirage. Could all the more recent work that I've read about shooting in mirage be wrong?
joe b.

Posts: 51 | Location: Marathon, FL | Registered: 03 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Mr. Mann is absolutely wrong in his conclusions! However, a low amount of error in weather deciphering before a shot might not make much difference for score contests having large "bullseyes". Group shooting needs all of the low distortion power the scope manufactures can provide to see the real "weather". But, that's a catch-22 because a powerful scope limits the field of view, blocking the coming weather change from which currently is in view. I personally don't shoot group competition anymore because I have realized over the years that I'm not the weatherman required to win a meet often enough. A weather man will always outshoot a shootist, when everything else is equal between the contestants. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery

Ken, got any Tshirts with that on it?

Being out of the hot season here for the next six months, I can't do a lot of mirage checks. But I will put it on the "to do" list for next summer, and see what I can learn.

Not yet. Great idea though. I've oft remarked that the home brew that I put up is bottled under the label of "Chateau Barricks".

Thanks,
Tim K

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote