New
Find
Notify
Tools

NEVADA CAST BULLET SHOOT 2004
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The 2004 edition of this Shoot will be held in Winnemucca NV in early May.

A little history: back in 1999, some Nevada-based casters on the old Shooters CB Board decided a "Millenium Project" would be a good idea, and the project took the form of a FUN cast-bullet shoot at Topaz Lake, south of Carson City NV in the Spring of 2000. It was a modest event, but so much fun that we decided to do it again.

We're now looking at the fifth go-round in 2004!

ANYBODY who shoots cast bullets is welcome to attend. If you shoot commercially-cast bullets, no matter, come on over. If you can't bring any guns or ammo for whatever reason, no matter....there are always SCADS of guns and ammo available to shoot. In fact, this is one of the fun things about the whole fandango...shooting other folks' guns.

Shooters have come from about eight different States to date , and wives and kids are entirely welcome too.

The Shoot is a three-day affair, starting with "Rools Kommittee" (a get-acquainted restaurant dinner) on Friday night. Shooting is done on both Saturday and Sunday. We had a BBQ at my place on Saturday evening in 2003, and the closing dinner at a fine Basque restaurant on Sunday.

This is a FUN get-together, with a few loosely-organized "events" for low-key competition and a LOT of plinking etc on steel targets, bowling pins, and so on. A full set of NRA Field Pistol Silhouettes is available for handgunners, as well. The events include iron-sight rifle for group and score, scoped rifles likewise, handgun for score, a "long-range" rifle match (not really very far, as the facility is a bit limited for that) and a couple team events which require LOTS of fast shooting....handgun is a stake-cutting event, and team rifle is fired off-hand at clay targets.

Again this is a meeting intended for fun and socializing, NOT a high-pressure competitive match. The main rules are:

Act safely;

Have fun;

NO WHINING!

Go to www.castpics.net and click on "events" to see what the years past have been like. Lots of photos. We've found that newcomers fit into the group without any effort whatever, and it really is more like a family re-union than anything....except the "family members" you simply can't stand never seem to show up.

Winnemucca is at the junction of I-80 and Highway 95 in Northern Nevada. It's about 2 hours from Reno, and maybe 5-6 hours from Salt Lake City. The range is less than five minutes from downtown, and there are plenty of motels etc available, running from the Motel 6 type up to some rather plush places.

Depending on my yet-to-be-published 2004 shift schedule, NCBS 2004 will probably be held on the first or second weekend of May. We would be pleased and honored to have some friends from this AR cast-bullet group attend.

Regards from BruceB (aka Bren Mk1)

Posts: 437 | Location: nevada | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am sure Bruce wouldn't mind my putting in my own .o2 here.
Last years event was my first chance to attend NCBS and I don't foresee missing another. As Bruce pointed out "This is a FUN get-together" with the chance to be with some of the finest folks you could ever get a chance to meet & greet. I had a couple of personal highs in taking home "Golden Wheel Weights". Esteemed company indeed and I did borrow a rifle to take home the glory. It was sweet and I have some shooting to do to keep the standards that were set. A fine time indeed. 45nut

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another comment here--this will be my fourth NCBS, and I'm only regret is that I missed the first one. The good people and fine times are worth every one of the 575 miles between my doorstep and the Basque restaurant (Ormachea's).

Posts: 299 | Location: Yucaipa CA | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm already one behind Deputy Al, and only half the distance to Hormacheas,but don't expect to lose any more ground.. Was stopping there before I met these guys, now it's multiples the fun....Idabull

Posts: 142 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like fun as long as this is about cast bullets. I'm not real interested in period costumes and black powder. Only about 370 miles worth of I80 from where I live.

When do you expect to announce the event dates.

Thanks

Posts: 62 | Location: SF East Bay Area - California | Registered: 20 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
djl, pard;

No worries there! About the only rules are the ones already stated..."PERIOD"! Safety, fun, NO WHINING!

There will certainly be a few whiffs of blackpowder smoke around....but costumes and other restrictions, no way.

No siree, this event is ENTIRELY about cast bullets and meeting the folks who use them. At the very first NCBS at Topaz Lake in 2000, NONE of us knew any of the others (except for a pair of long-ago school chums who had renewed their friendship via the Internet). Even so, there was NO awkwardness or stiffness from the first minute as we assembled. The same phenomenon has repeated itself at each of the subsequent Shoots. I'm sure that part of this was from our prior correspondence on Shooters, but a good part is also the simple factor of common interests. It is SO NICE just to talk to one "someone" who understands our cast-bullet language, and having a whole roomfull of such folks is incredible!

There'll be a wild variety of guns in use, some of which hardly any of us have ever seen....or maybe even ever heard of. All of them will be available for test-drives, at least until the ammo runs out. It's a great chance for an enjoyable expansion of our hobby and our circle of friends. Come on over!

Whereabouts do you call home, BTW? Even in the West, 370 miles covers a lot of real estate....

The gold mine where I work is going through a highly-unsettled transition period as we ramp up for production start-up. My job is 24/365, and the shift schedule for 2004 SHOULD be out in early January (I hope). After that, I also have to hope that the schedule isn't changed due to unforeseen problems during the start-up period. Since I'm the local organizer for the Shoot, it does pretty much hinge on my personal schedule (unfortunately).

The first weekend of May 2003 gave us one iffy Saturday and a glorious Sunday, weatherwise. Historically speaking, it SHOULD be better in 2004, but I'm leaning to the second weekend of May right now, work schedule permitting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bruce,

I hope you don't mind me tagging along here. We on the East Coast or even mid America who can't make it all the way to Nevada will have a chance to have our own shoot this spring.
I'll be hosting an April Fools cast boolit shoot in Patrick, SC the first weekend in April. We don't have Nevada's "ranchs" but we do have 50, 100, and almost 200 yard ranges.

Mike

Posts: 64 | Location: Charleston, sc | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you guys are having too much fun without me!
I would really enjoy shooting in your fun match but, unfortunately, I am a few thousand miles to the east in PA.

We have been having an annual cast bullet FUN shoot on the NRA High Power Rifle Silhouette course in Ridgway, PA since 1985. Steel targets at 200, 300, 385 and 500 meters. It's a 3 day affair with a warm up match the 1st day, followed by two days of relaxed competition with a few side matches at 300 meters with levers, pumps and military rifles.

Like your match, the main thing is to have fun, and plenty of it, and of course, with a little friendly rivilary mixed in.

Hope the weather is great for your match. Wish I coul be there to enjoy the fun & fellowship.

w30wcf

Posts: 41 | Location: Erie, PA | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
yes this is where i take my bow in the background......45nut out shot me with my own rifle and my own ammo...........
the rifle has been reborn on another vz action and is a dedicated cast boolit shooter( but with a lesser scope)
being unemployed(still) no idea if i'll get out this yr.

Posts: 8 | Location: so of anti gun denver | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

There will certainly be a few whiffs of blackpowder smoke around....but costumes and other restrictions, no way.

I don't mind black powder as much as I mind being told I should shoot black powder. It's tough to get in commiefornia.

Quote:

No siree, this event is ENTIRELY about cast bullets and meeting the folks who use them.

I've been shooting commercial cast bullets in .45 Colt and .44 Magnum for years. Bought the 45-70 Shiloh's from the SF Gun Exchange before they were driven out of business a few years back (I call one of them my SF Gun Exchange Memorial Rifle). I never have found a good reliable and available bullet for them. Picked up a Ballard High Wall a few years back and have put less then 20 rounds through it for the same reason. I really look forward to an event like this where I can meet some people who have been down the same path.

I just bought some of the Lyman 500 and 535 cast bullets, need to have a friend make a seating stem for the pointy one. Picked up some Meister 500 RNFP's as well but not sure how the bevel base or uberhard lube will perform in the rifle.

Quote:

Whereabouts do you call home, BTW? Even in the West, 370 miles covers a lot of real estate....

I live in a condo in the SF East Bay Area. A poor venue for a casting operation unless you like lead fumes morning noon and night. Mom isn't using the patio at her house place any longer so I hope to set something up there soon.

Will there be a trading post at the event? By then I'm sure I'll be in the market for a sizing press and dies and maybe a mould or three.

Thanks
Dan

Posts: 62 | Location: SF East Bay Area - California | Registered: 20 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you can expect to see some items for sale,trade,rent,or lease..personally I'd almost as soon sell a gun as a mold, either strikes terror in my soul.. Now rent or lease with tribute paid in boolits--Thats a different horse !!!! on occasion freebie samples have even been distributed by men of good will.. see you there, Idabull

Posts: 142 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
djl4570: I "served time" in Walnut Creek and Oakland for several years back around 1980; now we are about 125 miles north of you on 101 / 128, 16 miles inland from the Mendocino coast. The Ukiah Gun Club (3 miles east of 101 on the Vichy Springs Road) has a M/L and BP match scheduled for March 25-29, 2004, and the Sonoma Valley ML'ers have one early April about 10 miles west of 101 on 128 from Cloverdale; BP should be available from the traders at either event, or at Diamond Jim's in Ukiah, and I am considering a "buy" of the new WANO "Schuetzen" via Graf & Son's' introductory offer (25 lbs. @$9.99, and they absorb the Hazmat) if I can find someone to split it with. I think my e-mail is in my prifile; if not, PM me and let me know if you plan to come up this way. floodgate

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wonder of wonders, the mountain hath labored and brought forth my 2004 shift schedule BEFORE January. This is unprecedented....

Based on this new schedule, and hoping that it won't be changed,

HEAR YE, HEAR YE:

The 2004 Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot will be held on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, the 7-8-9 of May.

Start planning!

posted Hide Post
Just a quick note while at work. I will be there. With at least one family member. More to come if Regional HS track meet doesn't interfere.

gotta go, should have internet at home again soon, miss you guys!

ammohead

Posts: 9 | Location: Lyon Co. Nevada | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AMMOHEAD!!

We've missed you, pard. Glad to hear that you'll be coming our way in May, and hope to see your handle here more often, too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, going to take vacation time this year during NCBS, and bracket a week or two on each end of the meeting. Planning also on doing some rat zapping prior to the engagement with Buckshot, like in 2002. Last year was a dog's breakfast of subpoenas, court and case demands, ad nauseum. NOT GONNA HAPPEN THIS YEAR.

Posts: 299 | Location: Yucaipa CA | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello all. Ammohead, great to hear from you. I'm glad to hear that the NCBS is on again for 2004. I haven't been doing much cast boolit shooting this past year, or net surfing either. What shooting that I have been doing has been mostly with .22s. A friend of mine recently bought one of the CZ bolt action carbines in 7.62 by 39 caliber, should make a good cast boolit gun but we haven't gotten very far with load development yet. I've been busy with another hobby, and we had some health scares here with one of our kids. We know now that it is non life threatening, just expensive. I have tried three times to post on that other cast bullet forum, seems to be some kind of problem there.

A happy new year to all of you guys.

Best regards from duke.

Posts: 41 | Location: reno nv | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote