THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any barrel makers us Pope style rifling?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A thread on this board got me thinking about Harry Pope and his barrels again. One feature of his style of rifling was was the radius at the bottom of the groove where it meet the lands. In other words where the bottom of the land meet the groove, there was a curve instead of a sharp 90 degree angle. This made cleaning much easier and this style did not rip the bullet like the sharp angle. Does anybody still use this style of rifling? It was a major part of the difference between Pope's barrels and other barrels of his time.

Posts: 263 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Charger, those guys over at Black Star in Houston know of someone who will cut a 72 degree angle at the junction. I've talked with those at Black Star several times in the far past, say 5 years ago or more, about the cost of such a special operation. Something like 300 bucks at the time, mainly because of the numerous 300 below zero stress relieving between cutting passes. That was the only way they'd "guarantee" accuracy. So, to answer your question, the answer is YES, it still is done today. There would be nothing wrong with an entirely rounded groove if done patiently. Just think, an internal fluting operation! Somebody would surely enjoy doing that one, but who? Maybe somebody at Black Star would know who'd like to be paid to try! ... felix

[ 11-11-2003, 06:38: Message edited by: felix ]

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chargar:
A thread on this board got me thinking about Harry Pope and his barrels again. One feature of his style of rifling was was the radius at the bottom of the groove where it meet the lands. In other words where the bottom of the land meet the groove, there was a curve instead of a sharp 90 degree angle. This made cleaning much easier and this style did not rip the bullet like the sharp angle. Does anybody still use this style of rifling? It was a major part of the difference between Pope's barrels and other barrels of his time.

Charles the answer was in the same thread that got you thinking. Obermeiyer. The 5R radius rifling. The standard for hi power shooters for decades.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
 -

This man in Switzerland can do most any rifling you want!!!

I have one .45 5-groove Metford Gain-twist 1-48" to 1-18", one .45 7-groove Segmental Radius Groove (1-18").

He also makes Pope-style, Henry-Style, Ingram Ratchet style, and many more!!

[ 11-11-2003, 13:55: Message edited by: Blackpowder ]

Posts: 30 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Bobby Hoyt in PA and Ron Snover in TN are two that will do Pope rifling. I have a Hoyt-Pope barrel One of thse days I should build the darn rifle for it.

Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote