Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Lyman Master Casting Kit
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

I'm thinking about starting to cast and was wondering if this is a good kit to start with? Or should I buy individual components? Thanks!

Consider buying the whole shootin-match second hand. Check or advertize in the local shoppers.

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I prefer a bottom pour furnace, so would say no. If budget is a concern, get a Lee bottom pour furnace, Lee push through sizers, and some lee mold. I know folks like to bash Lee stuff, but I've made bullets as accurate with that equipment as I have with a Saeco bottom pour furnace, any mold maker you can think of, and a Lyman 450 sizer. The main advantage of the lyman sizer is speed.

You can even forego the sizer at the beginning and use tumble lube bullets. You can even tumble lube non tumble lube designs and so long as the as cast size is ok, no need to size either. I've shot scary accurate loads with a LFN shaped bullet from a balisticast mold that was tumble lubed and shot as cast from my 480, 3 shot 1 1/2" @ 100 yds

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking about starting to cast and was wondering if this is a good kit to start with? Or should I buy individual components? Thanks!

Posts: 173 | Location: Meadowview Virginia | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote