New
Find
Notify
Tools

30 Silhouette Bullet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geargnasher; Alberta Canuck has not been a top cba Competitor for a long time,and is now in hospice care,looking to sell off his equipment... Best hustle up some better references.. His passing would leave an opening on your" 6 or so members among 25000 on some other forum who can shoot cast bullets to their potential". Without that ,you four and the newbie "Tomme" don't leave much in the way of leftovers for the rest of that crowd .Maybeso,they ought to pack it in,pronto----NOT...............Nate

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nateDon'tgo:
Geargnasher; Alberta Canuck has not been a top cba Competitor for a long time,and is now in hospice care,looking to sell off his equipment... Best hustle up some better references.. His passing would leave an opening on your" 6 or so members among 25000 on some other forum who can shoot cast bullets to their potential". Without that ,you four and the newbie "Tomme" don't leave much in the way of leftovers for the rest of that crowd .Maybeso,they ought to pack it in,pronto----NOT...............Nate

Onceabull/Idabull/Natedon'tgo...ad nauseam....I think it's a very low life thing to post about a man who is more honorable, more moral, more compassionate and loving of his fellow man, then you are and of course I'm speaking of Alberta Canuck. I wish him a very peacefull rewarding reminder of his life.

I don't know what happen to you in life that bittered you so much but being you are in your very very late years in life I would certainly think about redeeming your soul with the Lord before it's too late.

I also hope DRG sees this and bans you again!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On Review,I'm not seeing anything disparaging about Alberta Canuck in my post.You may also note that it was directed to your namedropping,foulmouth,trash talking friend. BTW, I havn't got anything back from this "Wally" character,or anyone at all wanting to step as the "C.E.O. of Lothar Walther...........Nate

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nateDon'tgo:
On Review,I'm not seeing anything disparaging about Alberta Canuck in my post.You may also note that it was directed to your namedropping,foulmouth,trash talking friend. BTW, I havn't got anything back from this "Wally" character,or anyone at all wanting to step as the "C.E.O. of Lothar Walther...........Nate

Oh, so you don't deny you're Onceabull, Idabull, Natdon'tgo, etc, etc ad nauseam.

There your go Don, proof enough?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the way Bill you shouldn't have used Alberta Canuck's name in any manner other to applaud the man's achievements and for being an all around great human being. If you wanted to flame geargnasher it should have been directed entirely at and about him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once I get my 30 silhouette mold up to operating temperatures it drops the bullets out of all the cavities with no problems.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i got ahold of some of these 30 silh bullets today.
they look like an exceptional fit in a 0-6.
i'm gonna have to ramp em up a bit in the wife's 0-6 and directly compare them to the 165's i have.
i'm gonna back things off the throat and let the nose just bump the rifling.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
i got ahold of some of these 30 silh bullets today.
they look like an exceptional fit in a 0-6.
i'm gonna have to ramp em up a bit in the wife's 0-6 and directly compare them to the 165's i have.
i'm gonna back things off the throat and let the nose just bump the rifling.

They aren't though. They also are too light for the 06. I didn't have real good success with them in the 06.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't see why they wouldn't shoot just dandy in the '06 provided the thing doesn't have half an inch of freebore from being shot too much with jacketed stuff or hot cast loads. It's true that the shoulder angle on the bullet doesn't quite match the typical '06's leade angle, but it isn't off by much.

Gear

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geargnasher:
I don't see why they wouldn't shoot just dandy in the '06 provided the thing doesn't have half an inch of freebore from being shot too much with jacketed stuff or hot cast loads. It's true that the shoulder angle on the bullet doesn't quite match the typical '06's leade angle, but it isn't off by much.

Gear

Because you have to load too much of the lube groove out of the case and that doesn't leave much bullet in the neck. The 06 was really designed to shoot a heavier bullet. Heavier bullets help the powder to burn more efficiently too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geargnasher:
I don't see why they wouldn't shoot just dandy in the '06 provided the thing doesn't have half an inch of freebore from being shot too much with jacketed stuff or hot cast loads. It's true that the shoulder angle on the bullet doesn't quite match the typical '06's leade angle, but it isn't off by much. Gear

They would, but most '06s have some throat erosion. Most ones that have been shot a fair amount will let the 30 Sil seat out to the front of the grease groove. The 30 Sil Heavy is specifically for those '06 rifles with some wear.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i think i'll be allright on this one.
the throat is really pretty pristine.
my initial impression when i got it showed that the rcbs 165 silh boolit was a pretty good fit.
it was fair but going one more drive band [after another impact measurement showed where i mis measured]
gave a much better fit.
i do agree the bearing length on the 30 sil could be longer for a better case neck fill.
but it will give me a good comparison between it and a boolit that doesn't have that same rounded sloping characteristic but has more drive band length, and a paralell sided companion with similar shapes and measurements to them both in the 0-6 and the 308.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
i think i'll be allright on this one.
the throat is really pretty pristine.
my initial impression when i got it showed that the rcbs 165 silh boolit was a pretty good fit.
it was fair but going one more drive band [after another impact measurement showed where i mis measured]
gave a much better fit.
i do agree the bearing length on the 30 sil could be longer for a better case neck fill.
but it will give me a good comparison between it and a boolit that doesn't have that same rounded sloping characteristic but has more drive band length, and a paralell sided companion with similar shapes and measurements to them both in the 0-6 and the 308.

A person could learn a LOT from the results of shooting those three bullets in the two different chambers/leades.

Gear

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have my doubts about shooting one out with "hot" cast loads. To me that would be akin to ruining an anvil with a rubber mallet. Years ago I read a test where Lyman took two identical 30-06's and shot jacketed bullets in one and cast in the other. When the jacketed barrel was worn out there was no measurable wear on the cast bullet shooting barrel. Look how many bricks some people shoot through their .22 rimfires with no wear.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
I have my doubts about shooting one out with "hot" cast loads. To me that would be akin to ruining an anvil with a rubber mallet. Years ago I read a test where Lyman took two identical 30-06's and shot jacketed bullets in one and cast in the other. When the jacketed barrel was worn out there was no measurable wear on the cast bullet shooting barrel. Look how many bricks some people shoot through their .22 rimfires with no wear.

Ray, the Lyman cast analogy and the 22 analogy are both very low velocity loads to start with. Now in the hot loads, it's not necessarily the cast bullet that wears out the throat and eventually the bore (this includes jacketed to a degree also) but the erosion from the hot powder gases and unburned powder. Certain alloys in your lead will wear a throat and hot paper patched loads are even worse. For the average cast shooter shooting in the 1800-1900 fps range should be able to shoot a very very long time without wear.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe--Have no idea what velocity Lyman was using for their test--could have been high?

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Knowing Lyman I'd doubt it. Even then it's the hot gases and unburned powder kernels that do most the damage.

posted Hide Post
SmokinJ is correct that it is the hot gases under pressure that cause throat erosion. Powder being blown over the throat causes it too, some shooting cartridges such as the 6.5-300 weatherby found they could extend usable barrel life by swithching to ball powder instead of large grained extruded for this very reason. I would think cast bullet loads operating at jacketed velocity/pressure would cause similar erosion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elmerktwo--Welcome--notice your first post. Are you really new or were you previously some other name? You wont get the same pressure with cast as you get with jacketed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Elmerktwo--Welcome--notice your first post. Are you really new or were you previously some other name? You wont get the same pressure with cast as you get with jacketed.

Ray that simply is untrue. Not only have we caught up with just the normal cast bullet, but paper patched bullet which have a rather soft bullet equal jacketed velocities and pressures.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no way of measuring pressure--but it seems less. May be a conflict if velocity is equal that pressure could be lower??? Lyman does list some pressure and it's way less than jacketed--velocity is lower as well.

posted Hide Post
Carpetman1; Lyman 49th shows cast loads of 56000 psi in 308 and 30/06, that should be plenty to erode a throat. Looks as if cast bullets are moving into the 21st century, you're stuck in the 20th century, catch up man. Some here and other places are equaling or exceeding jacketed velocities with cast.

And yes I am a noobe here, but not new to cast just seeking information. Why the 20 questions, are you the forum detective?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Carpetman1; Lyman 49th shows cast loads of 56000 psi in 308 and 30/06, that should be plenty to erode a throat. Looks as if cast bullets are moving into the 21st century, you're stuck in the 20th century, catch up man. Some here and other places are equaling or exceeding jacketed velocities with cast.

And yes I am a noobe here, but not new to cast just seeking information. Why the 20 questions, are you the forum detective?

Elmer, I am not the most popular person on this forum, and especially not this thread, but I would like to advise you of one thing: you come onto a brand new forum and in your second post start showing the chip you have on your shoulder, insulting others, etc., you are going to put a lot of us off immediately. Most of us are fairly reasonable, asking only for proof of what is stated on line. You come on here as a know it all with the attitude you have already shown, and your posts will be met with derision and ridicule; additionally, a lot of us will flat out ignore you. Period.

Welcome to AR. Please try to show some respect to the others here, as difficult as that may be. It will enhance your stay...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Doubless thanks for the welcome, much appreciated. The other was meant as tongue in cheek to Carpetman1. I'm just interested in the high velocity cast bullet shooting, especially with the price of jacketed stuff today. Elmer

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elmerktwo:
Doubless thanks for the welcome, much appreciated. The other was meant as tongue in cheek to Carpetman1. I'm just interested in the high velocity cast bullet shooting, especially with the price of jacketed stuff today. Elmer

Elmer-
Several of us known Carpetman1 fairly well.... he is an astute fellow that is not easily fooled. I took your reply to him as you said myself. Ray will probably give you a good one back fairly soon.

Most of these people don't believe anything they can't do themselves. A lot of time, energy and money went into the innovations written about here. Most people here don't believe them........ Tough, if they don't believe, they can go sulk in a corner. None of us feel the need to prove anything to them. If they were nicer, we might tell them how to do it.

posted Hide Post
Thanks 45 2.1, I will just follow along here and see if I can keep up. Elmer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elmer--20 questions? There was one--are you really new or previously some other name? Yes I am the forum detective and I'll tell you when you have the right to remain silent. Your stretching the question into 20 shows you are prone to hyperbole and exaggeration. I don't have a Lyman 49, but I do have a 48th and there is not one listing anywhere near what you stated. In fact for .308 no cast above 30,000 and only one exactly there. For jacketed none above 46,400. In 30-06 for cast they had one way over norm at 50,400. Jacketed 47,600 was highest I saw. I dropped my Coleman lantern in the lake and found it still burning a year later. If you or Lyman will knock a few thousand pounds of pressure off those loads, I'll blow the lantern out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elmer--I didn't answer your question of why the 20 questions? I did welcome you and if you are some old geezer that's been posting here for a long time a welcome would be ridiculous wouldn't it?

posted Hide Post
Carpetman1; thanks for the welcome to the forum. Some may call me an old geezer, but I'm not that old just a new guy looking to see if he can learn enough to further his hobby.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the information is available.
unfortunatly a lot of it is buried inbetween a lot of unnecessary bullcrap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elmer where do you hail from?

posted Hide Post
Missouri originally pardWink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah, Missouri via Helena, Montana

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinJ:
quote:

Yeah, Missouri via Helena, Montana

Yep then Salmon, IDWink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
salmon
hmm,,, i know a few guy's up there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OT,
Used to have a buddy in SE Washington state that shot cast bullets and was a Ruger #1 fanatic. I forgot his name. Do any of you know of him?

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
OT,
Used to have a buddy in SE Washington state that shot cast bullets and was a Ruger #1 fanatic. I forgot his name. Do any of you know of him?

Might be possible some of the fellows over on Castboolits forum may know him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The fellow that I'm looking for is Marlee Parks. I believe he shoots at Tri Cities in Pasco, Washington.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there is a couple of guy's on the cba from over that way.