THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Why so little mention of RCBS pistol molds?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Fellas, thanks for the good discussion. Plenty to think about, and you are right that field accuracy is much more an issue of the shooter's skills than individual differences in molds.

Posts: 16398 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
BFR,

Ruger Super Redhawk, 7 1/2" tube. The gun is both mechanically very accurate, and more importantly, I can shoot it accurately. With a scope and sandbag, I've been able to find a load that'll print 5 into 1" at 50 yds with every cast bullet I've tried, from 310's @ 950 fps, to 400's @ 1200 fps, and 460's 1050 fps. I've got about 3000 rounds through the gun, and it shows no sighn of wear, asside from rubbing off their paint in a few spots from packing it.

I've never handled a BRR, so can't comment on accuracy or shootability. I know it is popular to bash the SRH as big, ugly and heavy, but it is only big and ugly, weight is identicle to a 5 1/2" mdl 83 FA 454.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RCBS moulds have a very good reputation among those of us who hang out at the aimoo Cast Boolit site.

I probably have about a dozen of them now, and they certainly produce fine bullets with ease. My smallest-diameter RCBS mould just now is a 2-cavity 270-130 which I haven't really used all that much, but I'm looking forward to some fun experimenting with it (along with a Lyman/Loverin 280468).

The largest RCBS moulds I have are the 416-350 and the 50-515, both of which I've used a LOT with wonderfully-consistent bullets being the norm.

Rifle design or handgun design, my RCBS moulds are treasures in my eyes.

Posts: 437 | Location: nevada | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Price, in my case. I have a few RCBS, like them and consider them far better than Lyman, but I never run into a deal on one. I find Lymans for a few bucks fairly regularly. I can also buy Lee six cavities far cheaper than an RCBS double cavity. Ain't no contest in my mind.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the .44 SRH and loved it but my friend talked me out of it so I could use the money toward my BFR 45-70. Nobody will talk me out of this one! Best revolver I ever owned but I still miss the SRH.
Put some STP oil treatment on the cylinder pin and ratchet and you will never find wear. I have 55,000 rounds through my SBH with no wear at all. I used to take the cylinder pin out to lube it but you can stand it on end and put some around the front end and it will slowly seep in.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Good heavens Bren Mk1: You wouldn't be the very same Bruce B of the Raggedass Ranch would you? The very same chap who sent some very lovely RCBS 416 GC boolits to try when I had a No. 1 in .416 Rigby?
If so, glad to make the reconnection.

Posts: 16398 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have and use the RCBS 45-300-SWC GC. It is a very good bullet, it is what I call the "meat and potatoes." It holds the same place to me as the 44 cal 250 grain Kieth does. It is the all around bullet for the caliber. It is just not all that glamorous.

I would rank RCBS just a little bit higher than Lyman. I usually buy Lyman's because I like 4 cavity blocks. If you will be satisfied with 2 cavity blocks you will like RCBS.

Posts: 355 | Location: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: 07 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Howdy, Bill.

Yep, thass me....still shooting my own #1 in the fine Rigby caliber, and still using the RCBS 416-350. Nice to see you here! Since we last spoke, I've had Shiloh re-barrel my problem .50-2.5" to .45-70, and I'm having a lot more success with the rifle nowadays. A new Axtell tang sight helps a lot as well (for $340, I SHOULD HOPE SO!!!!!!)

I tried to register here at AR with my normal Internet name, but someone was already using a similar handle. I think he's the wild-eyed Canadian liberal on the political board who goes by 'BBBruce', or something like that. Most folks there seem to detest him, anyway.

I'm another caster who'd dearly love to see 4-cavity moulds from RCBS, but I suspect there's not enough market demand. I'll agree too, that some very nice bullets can be cast from Lee moulds. I've recently used a couple of borrowed SAECO moulds and was very impressed with them. I believe that some of theirs are (or were) available in three-cavity versions, which would be useful. Excellent-quality stuff!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill;

To re-establish contact with most of the Shooters.com bullet casters, do a Yahoo search for "cast boolits" and you'll find us on an aimoo website. (The address is too danged cumbersome to bother with here. I just bookmarked it as a favorite and use that for access.) It's a rather active site, and everyone here is also invited to stop in, of course.

The Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot was held in Winnemucca this last May, that being the FIFTH straight annual edition of the Shoot. It's so much fun that we've expanded it to a three-day event, starting with the "meet-everyone" dinner and "Rools Kommittee" on the Friday night, with shooting on Saturday and Sunday. A BBQ on Saturday night and closing dinner on Sunday evening round out the social side, but naturally there's a LOT of BSing throughout the weekend.

Anyone shooting cast bullets in any sort of firearm is more than welcome! Even if you can't bring any guns, come anyway....there'll be LOADS of stuff to shoot! This is NOT-NOT-NOT a high-pressure formal competition in any way, but instead it's a chance to meet like-minded folks and shoot with them, and with their guns. More plinking than anything, but we have a few fun matches in the bargain. It happens in early May, so watch for announcements here and on the "Cast Boolits" site.

Nice to hear from the Abert Rim....

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Bruce: Figured it had to be you. I sure had fun shooting your Rigby slugs over 52 grains of XMP5744 out of the Ruger No. 1. Glad to hear your Shiloh is shooting, as that's a heck of an investment not to give you satisfaction at the range. I have had a couple of Saeco molds and liked them. Son't see them mentioned here as often either.
Where did the rest of the old shooters.com cast bullet crowd go? Y'all still have your spring cast bullet shoot in the Nevada desert?