New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found some more wheel weights.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just goes to show it never hurts to ask. I'm in Indianapolis this week and I noticed my tires were a little low. I couldn't find any air compressors working at the gas stations so I went to Big-O tires, they're associated with NTB where I bought my tires, to have them check my tires. While I was waiting I asked the guy filling the tires what they did with their old wheel weights. He said someone came around to get them but they hadn't seen them for a while and that I could have them if I wanted them. I got about 60 pounds of wheel weights for free and my tires properly inflated. Plus it's going to snow here so the extra weight in the rear of the truck is good.

Even my spell checker wants to replace Obama, it just doesn't have any suggestions.
jerry.baldwin06@comcast.net

Posts: 354 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A while back when getting my work truck fixed at a Firestone. Just started talking to the manager. Seems he reloaded too. Ended up with a 1/2 a 5 gallon bucket of whell weights. I'm an old telephone man and some of my buddies who work repair gave me a lead sleeve that they used use to cover telephone wire splices. Damn thing must weight 100lbs. Plus my cousin gave me 2 bucket of lead wire he got at the plant. I'm pretty much set for life. Ain't it great! Smiler

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
"Set for Life."

You don't shoot much do ya?.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a half drum-15 gal- full for free, used the shop hoist to lift it then backed my pickup under, should be 300+ pounds. I'm set for another couple months. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope Tc don't spend much time shootin' cast. Too busy w/ 5.56.,06' and 45acp. Just use cast for plinking in my 44mag, except when I load hot. Also cast round balls for my 44 cal black powder. Now that's fun to shoot!

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get 1100-1200 lbs twice a year at a local tire regional office. I went by a couple years ago, just to ask and the manager told me they were supposed to turn them back to their WW supplier. They offered 25 cents a pound. I offered him twice that if he would deal me for the next five years. I got about a ton and a fourth in nice 3lb ingots stacked up next to the shop. I buy all I can these days.

Friggin' EPA and their zinc s--t!

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Picked 340 lbs of wheel weights yesterday that well make a couple of bullets.

Posts: 19388 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Am getting 5 gallon buckets of raw WW for $15 a bucket. Usually smelts out to 100 - 115 pounds per bucket.

Trying to get a little bit ahead just in case.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike 15.00 per bucket full is a good price, still can get them for 25.00 around here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can still get free wheelweights. I have never bought one and started casting in 1967. Eveyone on the planet, it seems, told me to get better fill out in .22 cal molds I needed tin. I finally bought some tin. I could tell no difference. That is only casting material I ever bought.

Posts: 3806 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My neighbor works at the recycling plant and I get all the ww's, pure lead, and everything inbetween I want...at not cost to me.

Ray,

I'm not a huge advocate of using tin. Usually for good fill out in my moulds I'll mess with temperature and the cleanliness of both the mould and alloy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
SmokinJ: three years ago you were on this forum(as Starmetal, 2nd Edition) bemoaning how you were invested in casting Equip.and warning readers that there wouldn't be any lead or alloys available soon thereafter..just another one of your "visions",eh.. This fellow @ the recycling center,- same guy as your "expert" on exterior ballistics at Sierra Bulets ???? Idabull

Posts: 142 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by idabull:
SmokinJ: three years ago you were on this forum(as Starmetal, 2nd Edition) bemoaning how you were invested in casting Equip.and warning readers that there wouldn't be any lead or alloys available soon thereafter..just another one of your "visions",eh.. This fellow @ the recycling center,- same guy as your "expert" on exterior ballistics at Sierra Bulets ???? Idabull

More imaginary friends I suspect! rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Rather-B-Huntin
posted Hide Post
I've recently aquired a great source for WW's! One of my customers is a supervisor for the local area public transportation system. Every six weeks or so he brings me WW's off of the city buses. These things weigh about 1.5 lbs. each, and he brings me about 100 at a time.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded emotional and sexual maturity".

Posts: 258 | Location: Winfield, WV | Registered: 06 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just stumbled into a find of ww,about 650 lbs or more.Just need to go get them.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The non-zinc ones are drying up, good old EPA.

Idabull,

wasn't that about the same time you were promising a World Class Rifle Match to be held somewhere in the world? Stick to the glass house theory.

I've been to three Quigley Matches and one CBA Nationals since then and nobody had heard your story in person.

regards,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well,"Section Eight",if you have been to three Quigley matches since the fall of '09,maybe the VA can help with whatever ails you...Care to inform your vast audience where you finshed in the CBA nationals.???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Idabull (Idabull on one forum, onceabull on another forum) You know very well that WW's are becoming increasingly more difficult to get and that their phasing out has already begun. As the environmentalist gather more steam lead will eventually be banned altogether. I'm not happy about, just stating facts.

No the recycling plant friend isn't the Sierra tech. He's a real nice native Tennessean that doesn't even get on the computer alone forums like this. He's a much better human being then you any day of the week.

one of us
posted Hide Post
SmokinJ(aka starmetal,MaxPayne,joe,old joe,et al, ad naus.)...The Lord knows,and so do most of those who are familiar with your career,how qualifed you are to judge human character..eh ? Idabull

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
SmokinJ(aka starmetal,MaxPayne,joe,old joe,et al, ad naus.)...The Lord knows,and so do most of those who are familiar with your career,how qualifed you are to judge human character..eh ? Idabull

Old man, don't bring the Lord into it, you're surely going to hell. You couldn't be more wrong about anything in your life. You're bitterness in old age has blinded you. We can see by your dribble you surely are doing the Lords work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinJ:
quote:

Old man, don't bring the Lord into it, you're surely going to hell. You couldn't be more wrong about anything in your life. You're bitterness in old age has blinded you. We can see by your dribble you surely are doing the Lords work.

Wow, talk about the pot calling the kettle black! holycow

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swheeler:
quote:
quote:

Wow, look what someone brought in on the bottom of their shoe!!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by swheeler:
quote:
quote:

Wow, look what someone brought in on the bottom of their shoe!!!!!

Did someone step on your brain Joey? jumping Now wipe your chin off and play nice sonny. shame