New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lube for 44 Mag and 45 Colt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am going to be loading Keith bullets for the 44 Mag and 45 Colt. What is the best bullet lube for this application? Thanks.

Posts: 184 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sean, without a doubt, use Felix lube. Go to castpics on the net for the formula. Or contact Felix here and buy some from him.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Sean
If you are lazy like me get some LBT Blue, Rooster Red. I'd bet that any of the hard lubes from Redding, Lyman, RCBS will do the job.
Sizing the bullets to the right size is of equal, if not more, importance. I've yet to find a 45 Colt that did not do well with cast bullets sized .454 and 44 Special/44 Mag that didn't do well with .430 to .431.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arky, those lubes are too hard for handguns. Try LBT Magnum lube and see that it is more accurate. LBT Blue is a good lube though, I just outshoot it with Felix. I softened some LBT Blue and it shot tighter.
As for boolit size, you are absolutely right.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try GAR lube (http://www.garreloading.com).

I can't remember how much it is exactly, but I think you can get it for about a buck a stick (instead of 4-5 bucks a stick for some name brand stuff). I've used his rifle lube in heavy and light handgun loads, including .44 specials and mag, .454 and .500 Magnum, and I've had excellent results. Never any leading and the stuff flows nicely through the luber-sizer.

GAR's rifle lube is about the consistency/stickiness of the Felix lube that was distributed following the mass production run (I got two bricks of Felix's lube but haven't tried it yet).

However, I think GAR's lube might have a lower melting temp than Felix's formulation. It will melt in direct sun, which is not uncommon for even the name brand bullet lubes.

Felix's formula might melt in direct sun, too; I thought I'd try it to find out. If it does, I'll try adjusting the formulation, which I have not tried with GAR lube.
But for the price and the performance I don't think you can go wrong with GAR.

Posts: 68 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 13 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I've never had an accuracy problem with LBT Blue or Rooster Red , I use them interchangably. Then there's idea that I've never tried Felix lube, so I may playing the ostrich with my head in the sand.
I've even used mixtures of LBT and Rooster, I called it Jim's Purple. This was the result of having LBT in the Star sizer and dropping in a stick of Rooster.
One of my most favorite lubes was Mirror lube, used to buy that by the dozen for handguns. Only to find out, after I could not get it any more, it was some form of car wax or floor wax, sure left the barrel clean and shiney.
It's been my experience that the sizing of the bullet is the correction for leading and the lube seemed to lube and seal the bullet to the bore. Outside of that I have no idea what the bullet lube does.
I think I've read where someone had a very smooth uniform barrel that lube was not required to prevent leading.
How did you soften the LBT?
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I like RCBS Rifle lube or Javalina both availible from Midway. I've also tried some Lee lube, the regular not the tumble stuff and it worked about the same. I haven't tried the big melt of the FWFL in the pistols yet, so I can't comment on that. I tried some home brew FWFL/almost, it didn't do as well as the others, but my batch doesn't look like the group stuff.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like I should start with some Felix lube. Does someone have his email?

Posts: 184 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The recepie (and more) is on castpics: http://www.castpics.net/research.htm

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arky, it's been a while. I remember using mineral oil and a little lanolin but I was experimenting and only did it once. Didn't write it down.

one of us
posted Hide Post
sean, you can get lanolin from Majestic Mountain Sage on the internet.http://www.thesage.com/index.html. I think it was $12 a pound. Everything else is from the grocery store.