Find
Notify
Tools

cast bullets in 762x39
 Login/Join

posted
i have a cz carbine in 762x39 russian

i would like to try shooting cast bullets

can anyone advise on bullet weights, loads and maybe bullet moulds?

many thanks

russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
And I've got the Remington SPR18 in 7.62x39 - hope to have some loads worked up in two areas - squirrel loads and heavy cast bullets. But, it'll be a month or three....

Tim K
(trk)
Cat whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
AA1680 works fine from 17.5-21.5g this will cycle a AK at 19g I was using a LEE 150g FP seated where it will chamber.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's going to be hard to beat Lee's C312-155-2R or its tumble lube brother. I've been shooting WC-820 in 17-19 grain doses. My lot is a match for AA-9. I've tried several other bullets in the 150 to 160 grain range, and they have all been satisfactory, just a slight accuracy edge to the Lee.

My CZ 527 is not picky. It does like bullets at least .313, but all the fast rifle powders work well.

It is a good citizen's duty to love the country and hate the gubmint.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee's C312-155-2R is hard to beat. I find it very good in my Mini MK X Mauser over 27-29 gr of 4895. How much depends on whether I'm using a LR or SR primer. 311299 also shoots very well but it is a single feed propasition as it is too long for the magazine. 311316 (118 gr GC'd SWC made for the .32-20) is also very sweet over 9 gr of Unique in RP cases with a SR primer.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
ply

Accuratereloading.com The Accurate Reloading Forums THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS Hop To Forum Categories Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading Hop To Forums Cast Bullets cast bullets in 762x39

Larry and Leftover have it right on that Lee bullet. I am getting excellent result with it out of my Yugo SKS and I ironically, with the same powder as Larry, 4895 and almost the same load...26.5 grs for me.

Max
Contact Us | Accuratereloading.com | Terms of Service
Copyright December 1997-2007 Accuratereloading.com
Community Statistics
Statistics for the last 30 days

one of us
posted Hide Post
My CZ loves that Lee bullet as well. I size it to .312 and load it over 17.0gr. WC680 + 10.0gr. Cream 'o' wheat. It's running 1750 fps and shoots right at MOA pretty much any time. I could load more powder and leave out the filler for the same velocity, but the groups are twice as big. My wife shoots this rifle in our cast bullet silhouette matches every month, and just to see what happens I haven't cleaned it in 4 years or so. I keep checking it with the bore scope, and it's squeaky clean. I guess the grits give it a good scrubbing every time it's fired. And no, there is absolutely no throat or bore wear visible yet after at least 4000 rounds.

Posts: 187 | Location: Nuevo Mexico | Registered: 15 May 2001Reply With Quote