New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brent and Others....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently had a Ruger #1 built in 30-30 and wanted suggestions for a mould for a paper patch in 200-220 gr. I have experiance paper patching but not so in 30 calibers. If I cant find what I like I will write a program for a new mold. A 1 to 1 1/2 caliber in length ogive, or a flat point would be prefered. Any ideas folks?

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You've got me. I presume that you will shoot this with smokeless and at game. If so, then you need a bullet that is about the diameter of the lands before it's patched and groove diameter to groove+ 0.001-0.002" after patching.

Look for a good flat nose for killing deer and the like.

Someone recently was raving on the cast bullet board (I think) about a great bullet for .30 caliber. It was a groove (lyman?) bullet, but take that as a general nose shape and adapt to paper patch dimensions.

Another place to look is The Paper Jacket by Matthews. I know he mentions shooting .30 caliber patched bullets. But may not give a lot more info.

Good luck,
Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
190 gr. is about best/max for hunting and good balistics. Spec it at 0.301" as cast from your alloy. That alloy can be anywhere from pure to 30:1 for the 30-30 velocity range if you want it to expand. Find the base of neck length to the start of rifling length for your rifle and make that the patched length on the bullet body. It helps to have a 1.5 degree throat here. A flat point would be good also.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to find out what you learn. I've got a Ruger No. 1 in 300 Winchester, and a 30-30 Marlin.