Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Best Flux?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted
SAE 30 nondetergent motor oil's my favorite, in a small pump oil can. Works, smells and burns much like paraffin wax, but it's more convenient. Bet the olive oil does smell better, haven't tried it as a flux.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Do you really think you can stir beeswax or oil under the surface of molten lead with a spoon?

Nope. Nor do I think that's important. Fluxing is a surface phenomenon.

And nowadays I seldom flux at all when using clean ingots in the electric pot indoors. I flux lots when melting dirty alloy in bulk outdoors with the turkey fryer, often using copious amounts of used motor oil and letting it blaze. Can't do that under the back deck, though, it turns it black.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For several years I haven't fluxed at all, and I've had no problems. An article in _The Fouling Shot_ (I think) pointed out that the tin and antimony were in solution and not affected by flux. I simply skim the floating trash and cast lots of good bullets.

Posts: 108 | Location: Northcentral Louisiana | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The way i flux anymore, is with a dry piece of wooden dowel. It being carbon based, works dual purposes, of fluxing, and adding the advantage of being able to scrape on the sides of the pot, and actually getting your flux completely to the bottom of the alloy, rather than just on the top, as most methods of fluxing do. Think about it. Do you really think you can stir beeswax or oil under the surface of molten lead with a spoon? I doubt it, unless specific gravity functions in a different manner where you are, than it does around these parts. The stick, along with kitty litter, keeps me a happy caster.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote