Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone shooting cast in 9.3x74R
 Login/Join

posted
I just picked up a Greener Martini that has a McGowen barrel in 9.3 x 74R. Picked up some Norma brass and RCBS dies but don't have a mould yet. Looks like my shortest route to sending some lead down range is to try paper patching a .358 bullet up to .366. I have a 285 grain bullet that should be just right.

Does anyone have experience shooting this cartridge with cast? The Greener shotgun action maybe isn't the strongest action so I'm guessing that's why it was chambered in a lower pressure cartridge.

Thanks,
Cannonier

Posts: 8 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ok, now I have some experience with the 9.3 x 74R. I paper patched 10 285 grain Lee bullets. No gas check or lube on the bullet. Tried 3 different papers: velum, old tractor feed printer paper, and some plotter paper. The printer paper didn't shrink onto the bullet like the other 2 did. After drying the patched bullets I just used my finger to wipe on some beeswax/alox lube. Loaded these ahead of 13 grains of Red Dot. It took me 4 shots to get sighted in and the remaing 6 went into 2.5" at 60 yards. If I throw out one flier the group was under 1.5". I'm pleased with the initial results. Next time I'll put more effort into paper patching process.

Cannonier

Posts: 8 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote