Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 colt 330 gr. cast load ?
 Login/Join

posted
I need a load for 330 gr. GC for a win 94 trapper. Its a lee 300 gr. mold that accually cast 330 gr. wheel weights.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My Lee mold throws 315grns lubed and checked - I assume we have the same mold ( I use 5% tin mixed in with WW's).
I tried H110 and IMR4227 for this combo - for my handgun the recoil was pretty stout. I settled on 9.2grns Unique which provides 1032fps from my 7.5" Ruger Blackhawk with 7.0 STD Dev. Recoil is manageable and accuracy is excellent. Check out Hodgden's web site for more specific data for heavy bullet loads for the .45 Colt. I would be very careful on pushing the envelope in a rifle not listed as safe for heavy loads! Read the fine print and all of the warnings. I know Ruger, Thompson Center and Freedom Arms are listed as capable of handling the loads - no clue on Winchester.
Eric

BTW - .45 Colt cases don't last very long when you push the loads to the hot side. What you will notice after a few loadings is cases splitting the full length.

Posts: 62 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I have a buddy that shoots a 340 gr out of his 45, so will check on loading data.

I find the cracked brass comment interesting. The only time I've had that problem has been with nickel coated brass. Sloppy chambers and hence alot of brass sizing can cause cracking as well. I've gotten many heavy loadings out of 357 and 480 brass. The only failures I see are small cracks at the case mouth from belling and crimping.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
id toss that brass ive got .45 colt brass that has been loaded many many times with heavy loads that hasnt cracked full lenght usually when brass gets tired it cracks a little at the mouth. Cracks the full lenght of the brass are an indication of trouble with your load your gun or your brasss

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
beardog,

20 grs. of H110 sparked by a WLP primer works very well with the 330 gr. Lyman "Gould" hollow point bullet that I use. Seating depth with this bullet is .45".

Velocity is just under 1,400 f.p.s. from the 24" barrel of my Marlin Cowboy and 100 yard accuracy is very good with some groups in the 2" range. This load actually duplicates the ballistics of the .45-70-330 black powder cartridge which harvested a lot of game.

Hodgdon shows a maximum load of 22 grs. H110 at 29,800 cup with a 325 gr. jacketed bullet. And I have seen Hodgdon data using a heavier charge of H110 at 30,000 cup with a 320 gr. LBT bullet which has a shallower seating depth of about .40".

What is the seating depth of your bullet?

w30wcf

Posts: 41 | Location: Erie, PA | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I've ran Winchester brass in my 45 blackhawk with 405's to the point of a stressed cylinder. The brass did not split. I now have a Bisley cylinder in it and don't load as hot. I had a bad case of .475 envey.
The only time that I have had split pistol cases was with some Win 454 factory ammo. Some of them split with the factory load, some after one or two reloads. I sent it back to winchester and they sent me some coupons to get new stuff.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey all!

I guess I should have clarified - I run .45 Colt remington nickel cases. With H110 loads at 21.4 grns the cases last only 3 or 4 loadings before splits occur. I have since switched back to straight brass and have not had a problem since. Just the occasional failure at the case mouth from roll crimping and expanding repeatedly.

I have found that the 9.2 grns of unique, std primer, Lee 300grn RNFP GC sized to .452" (exactly my cylinder thoat dimensions) (old Lyman #2 lead receipe) I get excellent std. dev. and wonderful groups at 50yds (2-2.5").

For some that may seem not good - but for my shaky hands and poor eye sight from shooting sticks I say that is awesome!

I did check into Titegroup powder - Hogdgen emailed me and advised that their powder is NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL for any bullet over 300grns in the .45 colt. They recommended H4227 and H110 for any loads in the heavy range. My only complaint was the brusing with these loads out of a pistol - In a rifle they probably would be the ticket - assuming they would be safe loads in a Winchester in your situation.

If you can get H110 to run for your rifle I would definitely recommend at least trying it - It meters well. I seemed to have better luck with H4227 or IMR4227 in consistency over the H110. Nice thing about the 4227 powders is the ability to load lower then the H110 charges. But for a rifle felt recoil is not so much of an issue - I like to shoot a lot so I like to keep the loads relatively comfortable. Anyway - I'll stop rambling. Good luck - check out hodgden's website for data.
Eric

Posts: 62 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks for all the info. I dont know my seating depth because I loaded all I cast which was only 30.I seated to top groove. I found a load on six gunner 16.5 gr. of 2400 aprox. vel 1400. I will chrono when I have time. I took the first 2 rounds I loaded to my range to fire and look for pressure signs 2 shots off hand 2 inches apart no pressure signs the range was 25 yards.I will try the h110 loads I do not have any 4227 but may consider buying some

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have put 17 gr LIL'GUN behind 300 gr National Bullet hard cast .454" copperized in a 45 auto rim 1.555", very long in a S&W 25-2.

I have to shoot it single shot, because the recoil will pull the bullets out of the Lee factory crimp. That crimp works on jacketed bullets, but not cast at this recoil level.

I nee to get a 45LC seating die and cut it down to length, so I can get a roll crimp.

But I can tell, that is the powder to use.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote