Notify
Tools

Lyman 4500 lube/sizer
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 475/480
posted
Well today my 4500 crashed after about 8000 bullets
(1 year),looks like the nut that locks the dies in stripped the threads in the 4500 body,any suggestions,will try to re-thread at work Monday.the top 3 threads are smooth.
Sean

Posts: 562 | Location: Houston Tx | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sean, That finely threaded hex nut has to be the Achilles Heel of Lyman lube sizers. I have the #450 and think the hex nuts are probably identical. If so, and if you can't rethread it, call Lyman and order 1/2 doz. or so. Here's a trick that may help avoid the problem in the future: Make sure the threads are completely free of lube. Then, with the nut removed, insert the H & I die of your choice into the #4500, using the ram to push it home. Put the hex/retaining nut squarely on top of the die and use the ram to seat it over the "O" ring (You'll feel this.) Lastly, tighten with the box wrench. Btw, the RCBS lube-sizers have a coarse pitch retaining nut, which largely prevents cross-threading. ...Maven

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd call Lieman and ask where to send for a warrantly repair..

Maven's right about the mounting technique.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 475/480
posted Hide Post
I will call lyman Monday,looks like the threads are 3/4-20 any thoughts on this. Sean

one of us
posted Hide Post
475/480, If you dont have any luck repairing the Lyman give me a holler. I have an extra star sizer that is just settin on the bench that could use a paint job and some cleaning but will let it go for a fair price. Also according to your handle a sizer die also. Got a few from .475 thru .477". Send a PM if interested.

Posts: 36 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
do you have an extra .476 mine sizes to about .4765 it was a reamed out .460 die. What would you need for it.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 475/480
posted Hide Post
PM sent.
Sean

<ben.>
posted
One thing that worked for me over many years is heating with a hair dryer. Also always start the nut by hand B4 using a wrench. ben.

one of us
Picture of 475/480
posted Hide Post
Talked to lyman today ,it is under warranty,
thanks Sean