Find
Notify
Tools

Best way to relube?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cowboy_Dan
posted
Bought a box of lead bullets for my .44 spl today, and noticed that about 10 of them have come partially unlubed. One has even lost half of its lube. What is the best way to relube just a few bullets, and what is a decent lube recipee?

Posts: 164 | Location: Northern Indiana | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With those velocities the easiest would be something along the lines of Lee Alox. That said a bottle would last you seemingly forever.

Here is a link to some lube recipies, if you don't find something simple to make or readily available, on the first page, turn to the next.

Bullet Lube Recipies...

Mike / Tx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan, if you can wait until I send the projectiles I will include a stick of tamarack lube. It is basically alox and beeswax. You should be able to pinch off what you need and just push it into the lube grooves by hand...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cowboy_Dan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link, Mike, it's a great reference.

Doubless, I think I will take you up on your offer. I shouldn't need much, just a bit here and there.

I'm just glad I don't need to get any fancy equipment, at least until I start casting myself. One of these years ...

Posts: 164 | Location: Northern Indiana | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm just glad I don't need to get any fancy equipment, at least until I start casting myself. One of these years ...

There is no time like the present, and lead is getting harder to come by all the time. WW metal is pretty well gone, as I understand it. If you have any intention of ever starting to cast, you might consider picking up the alloy anyway. It doesn't go bad, and it is going to become more and more scarce, I fear.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Way back in the old days when revolvers were high technology Skeeter Skelton wrote and article about partially lubed bullets. I believe was shooting a 357 mag with 158-160 grain cast bullets. He was using Alox lube and the bullets got very cold and the lube fell out of the grooves.
He found there was little to no difference between full lube grooves and the partially filled. He was shooting these bullets at 1,100 to 1,200 fps.
I'll bet you will find more down range difference with bullets sized to small.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote