New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cast bullets in an AR ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone tried this? Will it clog up the tube fast? Im thinkin of th 50 beowulf ( big fat bullets)

Posts: 170 | Location: ky | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been shooting them for years. I shoot cast in my 6.5 Grendel and my 7.62x39 with no problems. They both are very accurate. I get no leading in the gas system (or bore) nothing except the carbon fouling in the carrier cylinder and it's a tad greasy because of the lube, which makes it easier to get out. If you know your cast loading you shouldn't have any leading. The 50 Beowulf sounds a great candidate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Starmetal thanks appreciate the info. I guess you use gas checks? Ive been getting by not using them by using pistol powder and keeping them under 1500. I wonder about the 50 Beowulf as its a fat bullet and by using a big bullet say 400 gr plus might get by to cycle the action but may encounter a lead problem. I even dont use a gas check for my 9mms and am using straight wheel weights. No leading problem they must cast out pretty hard. anyone else use cast in their ARS ? thanks appreciate.

Posts: 170 | Location: ky | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I shoot cast with gas checks. I don't see a problem with the 50 Beowulf with cast, in fact I think it would do excellent. On the other smaller calibers I think a low power load such as a small dose of some pistol powders probably will not work the action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Starmetal

You had emailed me about some bullets and I inadvertantly deleted it. Please resend.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Gibson:
Starmetal

You had emailed me about some bullets and I inadvertantly deleted it. Please resend.

Larry Gibson

Larry I emailed you again, did you get it? If not email me to see if our mails are working.

Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I emailed you back Joe. I don't have any PB moulds of that weight anymore, sorry.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have tried cast bullets in my 458 socom ar-15. They make the gun very dirty with only a few shots, but the rifle still functions fine as long as I am using supersonic ammo. The fouling is soft, so I think that is why the gun still functions properly when dirty as hell.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote