Find
Notify
Tools

9 mm swc
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted
Does anyone have a manufacturers source for 150gr 9mm swc's.

thanks for any info.

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS, HANDICAPPED TYPIST.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
You could just run a 357 swc through a .355 or .356 sizer. Unless you go with a really hard alloy, or your 357 mold casts really big, it's not a big deal to size down a few thousandths.

Or you could get Mountain Molds to make you a custom mold.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee makes a 125 grain tumble lube conical mold for the 9mm or 38.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stinger, I would highly recommend Colorado Cast Bullets!

They make a 150gr FP bullet...

but I would recommend the 145gr. FPBB bullet (sized .356").

The bevel based bullets load easier and provide SUPER accuracy!

Also excellent customer service!

Colorado Cast Bullets

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why?

.357 or .358 cast bullers are the right size for the overwhelming majority of 9mms. .355 and .356 are almost always too small causing inaccuracy and leading. If a loaded cartridge will drop into the chamber, your bullet is small enough.

SWCs may or may not work. It depends on the gun and your magazines. Most guns feed them fine, but some do not.

It is a good citizen's duty to love the country and hate the gubmint.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leftoverdj:
Why?

.357 or .358 cast bullers are the right size for the overwhelming majority of 9mms. .355 and .356 are almost always too small causing inaccuracy and leading. If a loaded cartridge will drop into the chamber, your bullet is small enough.

SWCs may or may not work. It depends on the gun and your magazines. Most guns feed them fine, but some do not.

Leftoverdj, I disagree. And I've tried the larger .357" and .358". Not a good idea!

Accuracy is terrible, pressures elevated, and chambering problems occur when used in 9mm pistols.

I reload for .38 SPL/.357 Mag and 9x19mm. If I could get by with it (with satisfactory results), I'd use a common .358" bullet. But you won't get satisfactory results doing that.

I've also tried .356" bullets in .38 SPL. Accuracy not good, leading a big problem!

As far as the chambering/feeding problems. I've used the bullets shown above in a an assortment of 9mms without problems.

I would recommend the bullets above and the Laser-Cast 147s for use in ANY 9mm that can use lead bullets.

REMEMBER: DO NOT SHOOT LEAD BULLETS IN GLOCKS UNLESS YOU HAVE IT FITTED FOR A BARREL DESIGNED TO SHOOT LEAD BULLETS!

These are the dimensions I use when loading the Colorado Cast 145 BBFP for 9x19mm for almost any pistol.

You can load this cartridge longer (for better accuracy) if your pistol will feed the longer OAL.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Leftoverdj on this one. Many 9mm's out there have a bore diameter that is well over the nominal .355". I have one that slugs just under .358". .359" bullets chamber and shoot very well, while anything under .358" will have the bore looking like a corroded sewer pipe in just a few shots. I do have one 9mm that slugs .3545" and the commercial .356" bullets work great. But sadly it is the exception and not the rule, at least with the 9's in my safe. Slug your bore and you'll know where to start with bullet diameter.

Posts: 75 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stinger, I have a H&G 145-grain mould that may suffice for what you are looking for. It is a truncated cone mould with a crimp groove, and was originally designed for the .38 special, but I size it down to .356" and load it in a nine. PM me if you want to sample some. I have a full box of 500 and will readily send you some to play with...

Regards,
Doubless

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaMan:

Leftoverdj, I disagree. And I've tried the larger .357" and .358". Not a good idea!

Accuracy is terrible, pressures elevated, and chambering problems occur when used in 9mm pistols.

I reload for .38 SPL/.357 Mag and 9x19mm. If I could get by with it (with satisfactory results), I'd use a common .358" bullet. But you won't get satisfactory results doing that.

But I do, have, and will keep right on doing so. I might run into a 9mm someday that needs bullets sized smaller, but it ain't a common occurrence.

I dunno a single experienced cast bullet shooter who would deny that you get better accuracy and less leading with bullets a thou or two larger than groove diammeter. I dunno a single experienced cast bullet shooter who would claim that slightly oversized bullets give observable pressure increases as long as the chamber is large enough to release the bullet easily.

You can't learn this stuff by shooting a few boxes of boughten bullets. There are too many variables for that to be meaningful.You wanna do meaningfultests you start out with a pile of cast bullets and a series of sizing dies so the only variable is diameter.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
leftoverdj is right. My Browning Hi Power will shoot both sized .356 and .357 good. Now my P38 will only shoot with .357. I've had a few other 9mm's and those, plus the ones I have now will chamber all the different sized bullets even in the thickest casings. If yours doesn't, then you must have a very rare extremely tight chamber.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know where you find these 9mms that slug .358". Roll Eyes

I would assume that none of these are of recent manufacture.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know where you find these 9mms that slug .358". Roll Eyes

I would assume that none of these are of recent manufacture.

Never said I did. Cast bullets need to be a thou or two over groove diameter. Barrel that slugs .356 shoots perfect with .358 cast bullets. So does a barrel of .357 which most American 9mms are.

However, if you want to see a 9mm with a .358 or larger bore, slug a Marlin Camp Carbine or rwo. They run fat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess if you look long enough, you can find an exception to the .356" rule.

Marlin's microgroove Campgun isn't too fond of like lead bullets of any size......PERIOD. That's why they use the 6 groove Ballard-type rifling in their "cowboy" rifles designed to shoot lead bullets.

If .358" sized lead bullets work for you in your 9x19s, drive on!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Marlin's microgroove Campgun isn't too fond of like lead bullets of any size......PERIOD. That's why they use the 6 groove Ballard-type rifling in their "cowboy" rifles designed to shoot lead bullets.

And you know this how?

Mine shot like a champ with bullets as fat as I could get them, c. .360. Had to keep velocity down because the blowback action starts opening early with heavy bullets.

Problem ain't with microgroove barrels, it's with folks who are too lazy to match the bullet to the barrel and the pressure to the bullet. I've never had any trouble getting microgroove barrels to shoot inch 50 yard groups. That could be because I spent my time doing it, rather than reading myths.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DaMan, to learn how to shoot cast bullets good out of microgroove barrels got to www.castboolits.gunloads.com and ask. Apparenty you don't and Leftoverdj just gave you a brief description of it. Cast bullet shooting is all about "fitting" the bullet and that just doesn't mean to the groove diameter...that means not only to the groove diameter, but to the chamber throat, in revolver to the cylinder throat....and with long nose boreriders to the bore diameter ( don't forget groove diameter is the rifling, and bore diameter is the land tops). In addition to all that there is alloy hardness, right powder selection, and last but not least...the right lube.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Evidentally you guys didn't read (or care) about Stinger's original question.

quote:
Does anyone have a manufacturers source for 150gr 9mm swc's.

He's looking for a good source of 150gr. 9mm SWCs.

Leftover says
quote:
.357 or .358 cast bullers are the right size for the overwhelming majority of 9mms.

Simply not true. The overwhelming majority of 9mms will work best with .356" and occasionally .357" lead bullets.

I've used the bullets I recommended above (sized .356") in a wide variety of modern pistols. SIGs, Brownings, Beretta, HK, Ruger, Glock (note warning above)..... you name it. And they've provided good accuracy in all of them.

That's why I recommmended them to Stinger.

Like I said before, I'm SURE there are exceptions. But the exceptions are NOT the RULE!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In addition to all that there is alloy hardness, right powder selection, and last but not least...the right lube.

And the length of contact surface between bullet and bore plays no role in bullet stability/accuracy?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
In addition to all that there is alloy hardness, right powder selection, and last but not least...the right lube.

And the length of contact surface between bullet and bore plays no role in bullet stability/accuracy? bewildered Wink

I think you need to go back and read my post, esp where I mentioned fitting the bullet to various aspects of the firearm. Did I once mention shooting a smaller diameter bullet then groove and bore diameter?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did I once mention shooting a smaller diameter bullet then groove and bore diameter?

You never mentioned anything about surface contact with bore and stability.

Do these two bullets contact the bore with the same resistance? (bullet dia. and bore dimensions the same)?

KEYWORD.....LENGTH OF CONTACT SURFACE!

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Go have a look at Custom Cast Bullets, Wayne Doudna, has a nice selection and he can size them to what ever you need.
LTD Custom Cast Bullets
I'm sorry to see that he dropped my favorite a 140 grain SWC by Saeco. A buddy and I bought some of his fine bullets and cast some from my mold. I shot a 357 and he shot a pair of Browning High powers. We both used the same bullet sized .358
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We both used the same bullet sized .358

They'll squirt down BOTH .357 and Browning HP barrels, Arkypete. Was your friend a competition shooter?

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
We both used the same bullet sized .358

They'll squirt down BOTH .357 and Browning HP barrels, Arkypete. Was your friend a competition shooter?

Was, and is a competition shooter.
I used the bullet for Bullseye matches, indoors and out.
I don't think the issue is the diameter of the barrel as much as it's an issue of how big the chamber is.
Jim
My buddy loads 9s by the 5 gal pail

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DaMan...you aren't Da man for cast bullet knowledge. Both those bullets you pictured can be made to shoot good..fit covers a wide range of things that I didn't mention. Seems you want to be top of the heap to try to prove something. One has to fit the powder selection, the bullet seating depth. We know all about bullets having different length bearing surfaces. You ever pay attention to bullet manufacturers when they say that substituting a bullet of the same weight, but made by a different manufacturer could result in a dangerous load? Seems everyone has about told you that fatter cast bullets will shoot as long as they chamber, but you don't want to listen. You shoot what the hell you want to shoot and we'll shoot what we want. End of discussion.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Colorado Cast Bullets:

www.sanjuanrange.com/ccb_prices.htm

if you live in the West. He mskes good stuff that is widely used in practice for IPSC and the various plate shooting sports.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You shoot what the hell you want to shoot and we'll shoot what we want. End of discussion.

OK, MaxPayne! Sounds good to me! Wink

quote:
Try Colorado Cast Bullets:

www.sanjuanrange.com/ccb_prices.htm

if you live in the West. He mskes good stuff that is widely used in practice for IPSC and the various plate shooting sports.

Mike

Mike, Good advice! Colorado Cast Bullets..... thumb

PS - And when you place an order, ask Paul what shooters of 9x19mms are requesting for sizing! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DaMan...well since I was alittle hard on you in my last post I just wanted to tell you that I admire you for your good sportmanship at posting. You're okay bud.

One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
Mike and Max

Thanx for your posts. the bullet I'm asking about is featured by Colorado Cast Bullets.

It's the 150gr w/c for the 38 Super which is 9mm. I really like the bullet and it's shape. I tried sizing down 357 w/c's but they just didn't look right.The meplat was too big.

What I'm trying to do is produce mouse fart loads in a 38 super similar to the S&W model 52 but using a 1911 platform. My Super is compensated and the comp can be removed.

I used to shoot the BullX 150gr w/c and I am in short supply. Went to order more and found out BullX went out of business. Thats what I get for ordering 10k at one time.

I am also working on shooting just plain 148 dewc's, sized down to 9mm in the gun.

With small amounts of Bullseye it should work. Haven't worked on the feeding issues yet. But with the mouse load and the right springs it should? work.

See this is what happens when you are 70 years old and have NO LIFE. You sit around and dream of projects like this. Beware my friends.

Thanks to all for the help.

By the way I found two other sources also, Meister and Kead. Kead is out of Texas.

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stinger

I got very interested in the 30 Luger cartridge lately. Like you I'm older and bored so I wanted a 1911 in 30 Luger. A few Commanders or Combat Commanders were made, but very hard to find and very expensive. So I made me a 30 Luger 1911 by making a barrel to fit in a 9mm slide as the 9mm and 30 Luger have the same head size. I used a light recoil spring and the gun works and shoots great.

I think you can achieve what you are trying to do with some work. Keep at it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MaxPayne:
DaMan...well since I was alittle hard on you in my last post I just wanted to tell you that I admire you for your good sportmanship at posting. You're okay bud.

No problem! I've got a thick skin.... and between .355-.356" is the normal bore diameter you'll find in modern 9mms! Wink

The important thing is to answer the guy's question..... accurately! thumb

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
and between .355-.356" is the normal bore diameter you'll find in modern 9mms!

Daman
If you were to add one or two thousandths to your number..Shazzaam .356- 358 are well within the one to two thousandths over size.
My favorite bullet is a Saeco 140 set up for the 9mm and works great in the 357.
Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arkypete:
quote:
and between .355-.356" is the normal bore diameter you'll find in modern 9mms!

Daman
If you were to add one or two thousandths to your number..Shazzaam .356- 358 are well within the one to two thousandths over size.
My favorite bullet is a Saeco 140 set up for the 9mm and works great in the 357.
Jim

Jim, with hard cast bullets that have a lot of bearing surface, (like the ones I mentioned above), you don't need or want .002" over bore diameter in a 9mm.

What size of bullet does your SAECO #383 throw ... as cast? And are you using it "as cast" in your .357 Mag?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am also working on shooting just plain 148 dewc's, sized down to 9mm in the gun.

With small amounts of Bullseye it should work. Haven't worked on the feeding issues yet. But with the mouse load and the right springs it should? work.

Stinger, I'm not an expert on the .38 Super or the 1911. But I think you should be able to get a 1911 to function reliably with very light loads with the right recoil spring.

Factory rating for 1911 recoil springs is 14# for the .38 Super and 9mm. I know you can get reduced power recoil springs for the 1911 clear down to 5#.

With the 148DEWCs sized down...... I'd first make a few "dummy" rounds without powder or primer and see how they feed from the mag. If they won't feed from slide locked back and using the slide release to chamber, you can forget reliable feeding using live rounds.

Good luck with your project!

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
What size of bullet does your SAECO #383 throw ... as cast? And are you using it "as cast" in your .357 Mag?

I had Star make my sizer .3585. When the bullet drops out the bottom, the bullet gets lubed and no shiney spots on the bullet. So I'm guessing the bullets are .358, there about. They are a tight fit to my cyclinder throats, yet can be pushed through with a pencil.
The 150 grain Lyman bullet does get 'sized'.
Again the major issue is how much the chamber will accept. My buddy, who competes, has a barrel that the chamber will not accept the over sized bullets.
Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remember the the match 1911's built for flush seated 38 wadcutters for the AMU matches? They functioned really fine. I build my own 1911's and have them tuned so well they will feed empty 45acp cases reliably. Having the 1911 in multiple calibers and switch slides etc, I noticed that the 9mm really slaps the frame harder then standard 45acp. When I built my 30 Luger 1911 I started with the 9mm recoil spring, but had to switch to an even lighter spring. Don't forget that 30 Luger doesn't normally shoot as heavy bullet as the 9mm. Also too I'm shooting cast out of it and not at full power. I would imagine the full power jacketed loads would work fine with the 9mm recoil spring. I also have swap barrels for my Browning HP in the normal 9mm and 30 Luger also. Now in that firearm the reduced cast loads in the 30 Luger work just fine with the 9mm recoil spring. I believe that you will find a spring combination that will work for your project.