New
Find
Notify
Tools

Experiences with LBT?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Basically, I didn't get what I ordered, and I sent way more money than what I got in product. I would like to give the company the benefit of the doubt, but some of this transaction looks intentional... So: anyone ever have a bad experience with Veral Smith and LBT?

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He has a reputation for good moulds - I'd give him a chance to make it right.

If that doesn't work, sell the mould for more than you paid for on ebay!

Tim K
(trk)
Cat whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought 2 LBT Aluminum molds, back in the '80's. The 308 mold casts "out of round" bullets. I've tried everything short of voodoo to straighten this out, to no avail. The 358 pistol bullet mold casts very fine bullets.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not used his molds--but I did buy his "book" and it is a total rip off. How? Compare it to a Lyman Reloading manual. It is 5 1/2x 81/2 and 131 pages. I don't know where a pamphlet becomes a book---but that one surely just barely makes the cut. The Lyman Cast Bullet Manual is 8 1/2 by 11 and is 416 pages. LBT book has NO data. Lyman spent a ton producing data which is included in their book. It is most obvious that LBT spent zero dollars and zero time proofreading--so many misspells that it should be embarrassing. This is being sold and it should look professional, it misses that mark by a long shot. All this and it costs about 25% more than the Lyman Manual--a rip off.

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought Veral's book along with his hardness tester a few years ago. I am really happy with the tester and find it very simple and straight forward to use. I am not unhappy with the book either. Yes it does have a lot of spelling errors but it also has a great deal of useful information. I do not have any of his moulds but I would not hesitate to buy from him again!

Posts: 167 | Location: Kamloops British Columbia Canada | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback, guys... Veral has responded to my email, stating he will "treat me right" in fixing this... I will let you know how it turns out, but I think it will be okay. Like I said earlier, I try to be fair, and from all indications he is trying to as well.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I've owned several older LBT molds, and still have a newer mold that I traded a buddy for. The many lbt molds I've had have always cast excellent bullets.

I've yet to order any molds from LBT because IMHO they are simply overpriced for what they are. I've gotten just as good accuracy from balisticast molds, and balisticasts are IMHO outstanding molds and built to last.

If I want to go for a less expensive custom aluminum mold, Mountain Molds has always done me well.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, what I ordered was one .358" two-cavity mould at 60% of retail and a single two-cavity in .41 at the same price... What he said was the .41 was gone, so if I bought both of the .358s on the sale page he would cut me whatever I wanted at 80%. What I got was a single .358" and a single two-cavity .41, and the price was over what the two moulds would have cost at full price... But he says he will make it right, so we will see. I am willing to give a guy a chance, but this first transaction kind of raised my eyebrows, if you know what I mean.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
so much that you came to us instead of contacting him? You must be a hoot to deal with.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ID SS, what is "so much"... I was simply asking if someone else had had any trouble with this man. Yes, it raised my eyebrows... $260 for two two-cavity moulds is just a bit high when you are expecting two two-cavity moulds and a four cavity.

Why don't you read the posts before you start pointing fingers.