Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.45 ACP Mauser Conversion from Rhineland
 Login/Join

posted
Formerly landtrain. Said I couldn't use it any more cause someone else already had it.
Anyway! I bought a .45 ACP model and the latest version chambered in .45 WinMag using .30 Carbine thirty round mag. Have read this entire posting from 2002 and before. Oldfeller, TRK and Leftoverdj all have excellent input but I didn't see any performance reports on either caliber. Not trying to blow it, just getting the best performance out of what is available. I also think the barel could be a bit longer so it would better fit in a military stock. I use a VZ-24 on the WinMag and a pre-war Kar 98 for the ACP. These are my rainey day projects so I haven't gotten very far. Took the VZ wood and bobbed the front hardware back about 2 inches and cut the bayobet lug off even with the front hand guard band. Run a 6-32 screw through the band to hold it together. I'll add here that I also own and shoot a LeMag US GI Carbine in caliber .45 WinMag. Its is really quite accurate and using cast .452 SWC it will put 3 out of 4 in a bar coaster. (Using a 3X9x32 scope). Would like to hear any good and bad comments, like the ejector solution and the rough machine work in the bore. If Shaw is still providing them, they can do better than the one I got.

Neither of these two rifles serve any legitimate sporting purpose except protecting your self and fishing buddies from those pesky Bud Lite cans that always seem to slither unseen into the boat and chew 4 inches off of that trophy largemouth in the live well.

V/R: Land Train. Formerlly "landtrain" of Spotsylvania Court House, VA.

Posts: 2 | Location: Spotsylvania Court House, VA. | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I bought a 45acp kit awhile back, but never put it together yet. I did notice a big lip on the inside of the muzzle crown. Kind of like it was cut fast and the steel got pushed in. I emailed them about it and they said it was the first comment like that. I'll just clean it up on the lathe when I get around to doing it.
How is the muzzle end on your barrels?
I liked the Savage style lock nut for setting the head space.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
No problems with either barrel except for the roughness on the inside. The barrel lock down ring is nice. Make headspace adjustments a lot easier but is one drop of blue enough or do you gob it on like pipe dope? Hope the house flippers never fing out about Northen Idaho around Lake Ponderelle. Spent a few weeks in Bayview at the Taylor Research Lab. They had to drag me away. Thanks for the comments.

Posts: 2 | Location: Spotsylvania Court House, VA. | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was after a couple of the SMLE kits recently but they quit selling them..only do research now is what the website said...anyone know if someone else put them into production?

A Vote is like a Rifle: It's usefulness depends on the character of the user

BOOLITS BOOLITS BOOLITS

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a 98 that was converted...a lot of fun and fairly accurate. The only trouble I had, was that I found only 1 magazine that it would feed from. I tried Colt, Wilson, bargain aftermarket, GI surplus and various others..only an old Detonics 6 shot would work in the gun...other than that, I really liked it.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Time moves on, but projects take time.

I picked up a .45acp bbl (on ebay) and a #4mk1 SMLE for this project only in the last couple of months. Still working on it. So many guns, so little time.

Tim K
(trk)
Cat whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Neither of these two rifles serve any legitimate sporting purpose except protecting your self and fishing buddies from those pesky Bud Lite cans that always seem to slither unseen into the boat and chew 4 inches off of that trophy largemouth in the live well.

V/R: Land Train. Formerlly "landtrain" of Spotsylvania Court House, VA.

That means the bayonette lug MUST be included on the new barrel - there's almost NOTHING more fearsome that a wounded beer can!

Tim K
(trk)
Cat whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote