Find
Notify
Tools

38-56 Winchester
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Message Preview
Two days ago a fine buck was bagged with my 'ol 1893 vintage 1886 Winchester. The barrel had been cuy to 22" and you could tell it was a plain and simple parts gun. With screws buggered up and wood not quite factory fit, but in a trade back in 1989 it was all mine. I learned how to make my own brass out of anneald 45/70 brass. I tried several moulds, plus some old 220gr Hornady flat nose bullets. through trial and error I found out the cast bullers had to be sized to .379. The RCBS and Winchester moulds I had were too small. At a very small gun show over in Minnesota a few years ago a dealer had two Ideal 375296 moulds. one was hollow point. Both shoot about the same with most all loads. The hunting load I settled on was with the H.P. mould using 42gr of 3031. It crono's 1880 FPS. It's not a long rang outfit by any means, but the buck stood up from being hidden in a gully out in an open pasture about 200yds. I knew I had to aim over his back a bit. It was more guess on hold over. I had used the gun a few times on steel targets at 150yds, The bullet wizzed right through him..he took 4 steps and the lights went out for good.Those 'ol girls still do the job even after 110 years...Geo

Posts: 57 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
george,
I am also fortunate to own an original '86 Win in 38-56. Mine has seen some rough use by looking at the wood but the metal is in fine shape. I picked mine up at a moving sale for $400 and immediately went to show off my new aquistion to my friend. He had a Marbles rear sight the filled the empty dovetail and even had a partial box of original Rem ammo. I set out to peruse the die charts and of course started with RCBS [Eek!] Can you say sticker shock ? [Eek!] premium set and they insisted I needed their forming dies too also to the tune of $400 ! Not Likely ! Continuing my quest Lee happened to list 38-56 ! I ordered up a set and waited for the brown truck,once they came in I gathered up some fresh Win. 45-70 brass and sprayed a few with Dillon case lube,waited a bit and eased them into the dies. Once,twice,three times I raised that handle and on the fourth try they were completely formed. [Big Grin] I checked the overall brass length and trimmed them a bit to square up the case mouths. I had done 40 cases in about an hour and a half taking my sweet time and not losing a piece. I loaded up 20 with some cast boolits I had on hand for my 38-55 and some 5744 and went to the range. They all cycled perfectly and fired everytime and though the groups weren't dazzling I now have a fine,functional and historic arm. Cool guns. I am planning on keeping this one for a long while [Cool] 45nut

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never been much of a LEE-ver shooten guy but I envy you guys some. Stopped last weekend at a shop on the way to dinner and in the cae was an ORIGINAL 38/56. Pretty fair shape for the metal and the wood wasn't bad either. They let me fondle it and the action was like a clock for precision and fit. Close to $3,000 though... methinks I'll stay with my bolt guns and one SS Buff.

Gun sure had alot of appeal and nice balance. Would be fun shooten that one...

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just because it's a lever or a wichester isn't why I traded for the 86. The reason was to hunt with a hunnert plus year old piece of steel and wood. I'm not into the "Winchester" name or Lever name like some guys. In fact for years I just shot my ol 50/70 trapdoor during Elk and deer season. But I've been there done that, and it was time to try something new. As for the dies, I just looked at them and the gun show price tag is still on the used RCBS box ($35.00). that was 12years ago. Lee dies Should work just a well. Once the cases were anealed, it's a snap to make 38-56's out of 45/70's, just take your time pull the cases out after every 1/4" or so just see how things are going, and there's still a little lube left by rubbing your lube moistened fingers over the case again.

I'll admit to one negative thing the old lever Most guys don't even think about until you carry one of those heavy firearms all day, the lack of a sling. I can see why Winchester made the change when their model 71 came along.

Posts: 57 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes, the old guns are fun to shoot and hunt with. I took my Whitetail this year (eighteen pointer) with my Marlin 1895 (original) in .40-82WCF. One shot through the left front shoulder and he dropped in his tracks. The bullet was a lump under the skin on the far side. What a thrill!!! The old beast is a Deer-killer after one hundred years.

Terry

Posts: 19 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup Guys,
Shooten' these irons with a hunnerd or more years is pleasin' to the psyche. Although one cannot truly time travel in the real sense of the phrase it sure doesn't rule out picking up an gun that was there and reliving the glory of it all. I also have a 1893 Marlin in 38-55 thats well over 100 and it simply makes me grin when I get to pop a primer in the old iron. 45nut

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote