New
Find
Notify
Tools

cast bullets for .444
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
looking for some starting loads to use for deer. Using a converted nef single shot that shoots jacketed bullets great but no luck so far with lead. thanks for any help. bill

Posts: 95 | Location: Baker, Louisiana | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
Slug the barrel.

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spend a good amt. of time scouring the jacket material out of the NEF barrel. Make sure your rifle barrel is clean.
Then work up your loads. The .444 should shoot cast extremely well. I have a friend with one in a Model 336 Marlin that shoots lights out with the Lee 310...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill,
I agree, slug the bore. I cast/size mine .431 for the .430 bore of my Marlin .444 & cast is all I shoot in it anymore. I use Lyman 429244 with 20.5 gr. Blue Dot & the Lee 310 is equally good. I used a big charge of H-335 with that Lee and I call it the KOBE load. Kills on both ends, My Marlin is micro-groove-they do shoot lead very well.

Posts: 128 | Location: Star, Idaho | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks Newtire, have mold on order. will try your loads with bullets from new mold. This thing started as a 44mag. I rechambered to 444 and with jacketed bullets (240 hornaday and 270 speer gold dot I have shot five-shot groups as small as .230 at 50yds. with issue trigger at 12 1/2 lbs. and 4x scope. Don't sell these things short as they can shoot very well. The only cast bullets I have tried so far is with the 250gr. keith type with unique and 2400 so have lots of powders left to try. Thanks again Bill

Posts: 95 | Location: Baker, Louisiana | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot, barrel is clean and slugs at .430 so will try Newtire's loads. Thanks again, Bill