New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Moly Coating Cast Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If you are getting leading,. I'm betting your bullets are undersize. Don't believe the manufacturer on thier bore size. Until you have slugged your individual bore, you just plain don't know. I had some experimentation with moly in the past, and it caused more problems than it solved.
If you try it out, and you aren't happy with it, Goop handcleaner will remove it from your barrel faster than anything else.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There used to be a product on the market called "Bulletmaster" bullet lube. It was moly suspension in epoxy liquid. It was a dip bullet lube. They took it off the market for some reason.
I was using M&N bullet lube at the time. It did not work as well as the M&N for accuacy. Neither leaded my rifles.
I stayed with the M&N. - Lew

Posts: 66 | Location: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: 19 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did a couple of experiments with adding moly powder to Rooster Jacket tumble lube. One bullet/load/gun showed a dramatic improvement with the moly while another bullet/load/gun actually did better without it.

It may be that your leading is caused by gas blow-by and moly isn't likely to fix that. We could start a long thread on the general subject of what causes leading and how bullet lubes work -- but generally a good gas seal is more important than lubricating qualities.

Try your moly spray and let us know if anything happens.

Posts: 97 | Location: Pocatello, ID | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think I posed my question very clearly. I have read about people using Moly instead of Alox or any of the other lubes. I wanted to know if anyone had used it in this way and if it worked. I am not having leading problems, just wondering Moly will work as the only lube on cast bullets?

Thanks
Dennis

Posts: 321 | Location: Tulsa, Ok. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a man on CB-L, Norm Johnson, I am not sure which one, who shoots a lot of bullets in rifle and pistol with no lube at all. H does know how to fit the bullets well to his firearms. He gets no leading when his bullets are sized properly for each firearm. Go figure. - Lew

Posts: 66 | Location: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: 19 August 2001Reply With Quote