New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cast Loads for 9.3x74
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I finally found a set of mold blocks for .366 plain base, 249 grainers. I really wanted cast bullets for my old drilling, but will shoot them in my Chapuis as well, both are 9.3x74. Any body have any loads for this bullet? Not really interested in velocity, just paper punching, groundhogs and whitetails.
Thanks
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Exit31
posted Hide Post
Although I cannot provide info for your question, (as I have no experience reloading cast for the 9.3, I reload copper jackets) how did you come by your mould? Did you purchase it from a US supplier?

Why shall there not be patient confidence in the ultimate justice of the people? Is there any better or equal hope in the world? Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 599 | Location: Canada, NS | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I bought a 3 cavity 9,3 mold from NEI. Is their 366-360GC design. Uses 35 cal gas checks. Weighs more like 290 grains when cast in WW metal. Are sized to 0.366 though .367 or 368" would be better. Lar45's Carnauba Red is used as the lube.

Link to supplier is: http://www.neihandtools.com/

Regulates in my Chapuis with 33-34 grains of 5744 ignited by Fed 215s.

I see essentially no lead fouling with this load.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.
Found mine,a Lyman, on fleabay. I wanted a double cavity so that at some time in the future, when my retirement accounts return from their vaction, I can get one of the cavities made into a hollow point.
They made this mold a while back. I've been digging through my old records to try to date it, but haven't found the listing years yet. Sometimes they go for a lot of money and sometimes, even a cheapskate like me can score one.
I've used Unique, good results, for a long time with cast bullets in a lot of calibers, but this case is like a piece of pipe. I like the idea of 5744, it's a lot bulkier, so I'm less likely to double one up and less likely to shift around and give wierd ignition problems. I am not a fan of fillers, although I burned lot of toilet paper squares when I first started. I'll have to do a little research to see where I might start with it.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black Fly:
Thanks guys.
Found mine,a Lyman, on fleabay. I wanted a double cavity so that at some time in the future, when my retirement accounts return from their vaction, I can get one of the cavities made into a hollow point.
They made this mold a while back. I've been digging through my old records to try to date it, but haven't found the listing years yet. Sometimes they go for a lot of money and sometimes, even a cheapskate like me can score one.
I've used Unique, good results, for a long time with cast bullets in a lot of calibers, but this case is like a piece of pipe. I like the idea of 5744, it's a lot bulkier, so I'm less likely to double one up and less likely to shift around and give wierd ignition problems. I am not a fan of fillers, although I burned lot of toilet paper squares when I first started. I'll have to do a little research to see where I might start with it.
Bfly

A bulky powder you might try if you can find some is the surplus 5010. It's kernels look like chopped pieces of spaghetti and it's burn rate is very slow. Another slow powder is surplus 860, but it's a ball powder and not nearly as bulky as the 5010, but equally as slow. Slow means you can put more in and try fill that big pipe of a case.