New
Find
Notify
Tools

Felix Lube, 2nd version
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
There has been a lot of interest concerning Felix lube lately, so I thought I would post the recipe for my second batch. The first survived several adaptations, and I decided this batch would be a semi-hard lube reserved for revolters and the 45 auto. I doubled the normal recipe and heated four tbsp of baby oil and two tbsp of castor oil for thirty minutes. Then I added about 1.5 tbsp of Ivory and never got all the Ivory to mix into the oils. Added five sticks of Magma green hard lube and the wax top from a bottle of Makers Mark bourbon and let the mix solidify, then heated again. Most of the Ivory went into solution as I heated, and then I added a big two tbsp of lanolin and let the mix cool. I'll test it tomorrow and see what needs to happen from here. My goal is a non-smokey lube that will work in the 45 ACP and 38 Special - any other uses will be a bonus. Tony

one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Looks good, Tony. Should work good! ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Felix, I checked the lube tonight and it is noticeably harder than the big batch of Felix lube but not nearly as hard as I thought it would be. Still nice and sticky, and no signs of layering. There are a few slivers of soap left, but I think they will dissolve during the next heat cycle. I think I will add two more sticks of the hard lube and try the result in the 45. May even play with it in a few rifles as a summer lube if it does okay in the pistols. Tony

one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Tony, keep in mind that the lube does not have to be a hard one for summer use. The new felix lube you have can be softened quite a bit and not melt during the summer months. That microwax version was selected to help make the whole lube quite resistant to ambient heat. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Felix, gotcha, and I used my first batch of FWFL during August in Alabama with no problems at all. I was thinking that summer temps might make this version useful in rifles instead of being a pistol/revolter lube only - I may be wrong and it could do well at any temp. I figure the more I can experiment, the more excuses I have to shoot! Tony

one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Yep, that's the idea entirely. It's all a joke anyway, but a fun one at that. ... felix

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anthony, if you look around you find weird things also. I got a 1 lb can of Treewax at an estate sell that lists 50 % carnauba as volume. I use a pea size piece each time I make a batch and it does shine things up. Other ingredients are petroleum distilates and other waxes. Gianni.

Posts: 65 | Location: Western MT | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote