Find
Notify
Tools

44 300gr WFNGC powder selection?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of whiplash
posted
Does anybody have a location of load data for 44 Mag using a Cast Performance 300gr WFNGC bullet? I couldnt find anything, YET, using H110.

Posts: 158 | Location: Grand View, Idaho | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cast Performance & Hodgdon have load data.When I checked with a tech on loading 300gr hard cast lead bullets with a gas check I was advised to use the Hodgdon data .A tech at one company noticed a canister of powder they received had 2 labels on it and one was loose under the W 296 was a H 110 label they are very similar.

posted Hide Post
I use 21.5gr of WW296-H110 for about 1300fps,and 9.5gr. of Unique for a reduced load for about 1000fps.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
What type of 44 mag, ie Ruger, Smith, Taurus?

A std load is 21 1/2 gr H110, CCI 350 primer. The Ruger can be loaded with a bit more powder, and some folks get carried away with that, but I wouldn't recomend it.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of whiplash
posted Hide Post
I looked at the Hodgdon site, and they have a 300 XTP, and a cast 325 load but no 300 cast. Im not one to USUALLY stray from printed data, but 20 to 21gr of H110 is what I am looking at. Its for a Ruger Vaquero. thanks for the responses.

Posts: 158 | Location: Grand View, Idaho | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
What type of 44 mag, ie Ruger, Smith, Taurus?

A std load is 21 1/2 gr H110, CCI 350 primer. The Ruger can be loaded with a bit more powder, and some folks get carried away with that, but I wouldn't recomend it.
My current 44 is a Ruger SBH and the 21.5 gr load I posted is my own maximum. I've lost 2 S&W's to shooting just full power factory loads, both shot loose after several months of weekly practice, hence the purchase of the Ruger! I love S&W's but for 44's it's going to be a Ruger for me.