Find
Notify
Tools

Cost of wheel weights?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

What are you paying for used wheel weights?

I have an offer of $15 per 5 gallon bucket to sell me material. A heft estimate indicates that a bucket must weigh more than 100 pounds. Seems like a pretty reasonable price to me.

Thanks,

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
I must have 300 pounds maybe 400.
Cost, a 12 pack of Bud. The tire shops I have asked at want them gone, don't care how, just get em out.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always managed to get them free.The way things are these days,I'd gladly give $15 for a 5 gal. bucket.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A five gallon bucket will hold about 150 lbs of wheel weights, give or take 10 lbs or so. I get them free occasionally (got about 75 lbs last week), have paid up to $.15/lb on occasion, but mostly get denied these days even when I offer cash or something in trade. Most places that I've tried either reuse the weights, already have a buddy that gets them, or they go to the battery guy. Any place that sells batteries as well as tires usually will not give weights to you. I would pay $15 a bucket for a constant source.

Posts: 75 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I had been paying $20 a bucket at a place that no longer sells them to me. A buddy who I cast for got me 5 buckets in trade for bullets I cast for him, and I haven't done much casting lately, so that's my stash.

Since I've yet to have a reliable supply of ww's, I'd buy every bucket I could at $15 a bucket.

After melting down and cleaning out the clips, valve stems, wheel lugs etc, you'll get over 100#'s of ingots.

My wife got me a bucket and a half for free from a tire store when she told them I was going to make toy soldiers for my kids. Not exactly a lie as I did get them a toy soldier mold, but it didn't fill out that well with ww's.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I learned the last time I bought wheel weights not to tell them I was going to make bullets out of them they looked at me like they thought I was doing something wrong, and I left they refused to sell me any to make bullets out of. The next place I told them I was going make some duck weights & fishing sinkers I had no problem getting all they had.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The last 4 buckets I got were free they were glad to get rid of them.

Posts: 19394 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My local tire emporium told me the recycler pays them $5 per bucket, and he picks up, so no way they are going to give weights away for free to casters. That was 1 1/2 years ago so it may have gone up since.

I generally offer $20 a bucket, and bring my own bucket to fill or swap so they won't be out a bucket. That's generous but creates goodwill and it is still a bargain compared to storebought bullets.

It is rare to get them free in this part of the country unless you know someone.

If you are spending several hundred dollars on a on a set of tires, then you have more bargaining power and should negotiate accordingly. Never buy tires without bringing home wheelweights.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by popenmann:
Never buy tires without bringing home wheelweights.

Words of Wisdom!

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got two buckets for $10 each. Darned glad to have them for that.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muffin
posted Hide Post
Ditto what most have said.

Had to buy 3 sets of tires in one month, took home 3 5gal buckets of weights.

What does amaze me is that when you start throwing 510grainers, it don't take that long to use up a bucket.

Have not paid for any yet.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
The police pistol range located on Ft. Ben Harrison, Indianapolis IN., had a soft backstop full of bullets. A friend and I used to "mine" it regularly for .38 wadcutters. These made great bullets when recast!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
man, i didnt know they were hard to find. I have a buddy that has about 6 55 gallon drums of this stuff that he asked me about 2 weeks ago if i would haul off. they are still sitting there. I will get them if you guys want and you pay shipping and i will send them to you. I will inquire about them again next week if anyone is interested

On edit, i just called him and he has two tire locations and said i can have all he's got, just need to figure out how in the heck i am gonna get 55 gallon drums of nothing but tire weights into my pickup. Litterly has 6 drums worth and several 5 gallon buckets of them.

Posts: 117 | Location: colorado springs, co. | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wtman, where are you located? I hope you are close to me. A 5 gallon bucket of WW weighs about 160 lbs, so a 55 gallon drum would top 3/4 of a ton. The only way I can think of to move them would be via some sort of forklift or tractor loader, or go the manual route and scoop them into smaller containers (like 5 gallon buckets) and then lift them into the back of the truck.

Posts: 75 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live in colorado springs, Colorado. I have a forklift but would have to get it over there somehow. I am going to have to figure something else out. I dont have a tommy lift on any of my trucks buy i do service an oil company that does. They may be able to help me. I realize shipping these things to people wont happen because of costs, but if anyone is ever through this way, they could sure stop in and get a big bait of 'em. I do NOT do any casting but i have tons of resources for these wheel weights and this is just from 2 locations alone. I never thought there was any use for them till i came across this thread just browsing through.

Posts: 117 | Location: colorado springs, co. | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At 1280 miles one way, it's a little too far away for me. I hope some of the other guys on this board can take advantage.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wtman, I am just down the road from you. You still have access to those wheel weights? My tire guy already has someone that takes all of his weights. I used to buy them from the local scrap dealer for .10$/# but I haven't been there in years; don't know if he even sells them any more. My stock is running low. Start casting jig heads and decoy anchors and the metal goes fast.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
cg,
I have access to all the weights i want. Just let me know and i will pick them up for ya.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
wtman, I am sending you email.
thanks.
C.G.B.

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Last time I bought WWs, I got 4 buckets, piled high, for $20.

When you shoot them 1 lb 12 oz, at time.....

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread is pretty much dead, but thought I would add a bit of info. Went to the local salvage yard yesterday, and they want $.30/lb. for "cleaned" wheel weights. All the trash has been picked out but the weights still carry the clips...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote