Find
Notify
Tools

Speaking of Ranch Dog Moulds...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted
I just "subscribed" to this one: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=20970

Probably should've gotten the .432" custom Lee sizing kit while I was at it. I've got a .430".

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have that one in a 2 cavity, and it's a dandy! My Borwning M92 is the same deal as a Marlin - barrel way too big and twist too slow. That bullet over all the H110 I can get into the case shoots tiny groups out of my rifle, and will feed through the magazine. If you've got one of these out of spec barrels, this is the bullet to use.

Posts: 187 | Location: Nuevo Mexico | Registered: 15 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I never have understood why, when the .44 Magnum revolvers usually use a twist of something like 1:18" or 1:20", Marlin chose to use a 1:38" twist. Apparently they did (according to a discussion over on Cast Boolits) because that was the twist historically used in .44-40 carbines. But those never were loaded with more than 200 grain flat nosed bullets, which are very short.

My Marlin 1894 shoots reasonably well, at least to 50 yards or so, with Lee's plain based 429-255-SWC over 19 grains of the lot of pulldown WC820 I have. Leaves a pretty good gray wash of lead in the bore, though. I cast 'em out of pretty soft scrap, water dropped, and they came out ~273 grains in the first big batch I cast, which I haven't finished shooting up.

I just got a group buy mould for a 200 grain double-ended wadcutter, mainly intended for plinking loads in .44 Mag and Special revolvers, but of course I'll have to try shooting them in the Marlin. I won't be surprised if there are feeding problems.

The Ranch Dog bullet apparently was made with the .444 Marlin in mind, but looks like a dandy for hot loaded .44 Magnums to me.

Y'all might want to check out the currently forming group buy on Cast Boolits for the #429244 in a 6-hole Lee mould, too. I figure it and the Ranch Dog fit similar niches, and I like to tumble lube.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,

I have a Marlin cowboy, but is in 45 Colt. I usually shoot the RCBS 255 gr SWC out of it. I'm not sure of the twist, never really measure it, but notice when cleaning it the cleaning rod turns very slowly. Even though I was shocked at how accurate a rifle it is. I'm generally not a big fan of Marlin rifles, but this one absolutely amazes me with how well it shoots. I've shot it at 100 yards too with that same bullet and they are still doing fine at that distance and no signs of keyholing. Next time I get it I'll measure my twist.

Joe

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
This mould subscription's getting near closing. Better sign up for one now!