New
Find
Notify
Tools

Felix Lube - OK to make a triple batch?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I figured I would make up some Felix bullet Lube this weekend. I have lots of ingredients. Is it OK to make a triple batch at one time?

Here's what I'm using:
6 tablespoons Baby oil
3 tablespoons Castor Oil
3 tablespoons (Max) Ivory Soap
3 tablespoons Lanolin
3 1.5" x 1.5" x 5" pieces beeswax (33.75 cubic inches)
3 teaspoons of Carnauba wax

I'll follow the regular directions regarding heating times.

Never having made this lube before, I wanted to know if making bigger batches requires different proceedures/precautions.

Thanks! This forum is super!

Turbo

Posts: 38 | Location: Tigard, Oregon | Registered: 25 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I make 3 and 4 quanity batches all the time and have never had a problem

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Just like in cooking a cake, the proportions and quality of the constituents, including time in the oven, must be identical when trying to exactly repeat a previous product. Impossible to do when dealing with our lube components from scratch everytime. In other words, it doesn't make any difference when you have extra supplies to tailor the final lube to whatever is required. That's the attitude to have. No different than using different junk yard lead every time you fire up the pot. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Same here. Single batches get used up WAY too fast. I make 4X batches or more at a time and pour off into mini cupcake pan with the paper wrappers. Throw them all in a ziplock bag and take out 2 or 3 at a time, nuke'm just long enough for residiual heat in the Pyrex pour cup to finish the melt and fill the lubrisizer.

Felix, we about ready to do the BIG melt??? How a week day during week of Oct 13? Looks like I'm off all week. Wednesday or Thursday sound purdy good? I can start a WW melt early, and by the time you get here, we could be pouring ingots (might already be done) and then do the lube.... sundog

Posts: 287 | Location: Koweta Mission, OK | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. I'll go for it Saturday afternoon after I get my other chores done.

Turbo

Posts: 38 | Location: Tigard, Oregon | Registered: 25 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Turbo--if you are making a larger batch,you need a larger pot or otherwise you will overflow it. Glad I could help.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Sundog, it's your call. Whenever you are ready. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Who is our thermo engr on the board? Needed is how many pounds of lead, starting 250 degrees to make 180 degrees after an hour. We will be adding 150 pounds of beeswax equivalent, 50 pounds of mineral oil at ambient temp. Assume ambient at 55 degrees. Ignore other factors. ... felix

one of us
posted Hide Post
Typically, if the cooking directions are followed, how hard is this lube? I know it is variable depending on the amount of wax added but there should be some sort of range to expect.

At the moment I'm using a lube that works great, but if I send bullets I make to a friend and they sit in a hot UPS truck all the lube melts out of the grooves. I also cannot leave them in the car if I take them to a buddy's house or put them in the saddlebag of my motorcycle, if the temperature is expected to go above 85 or so. I'd like something that can withstand a higher temp for shipping and handling.

I've ordered a couple of pounds like many people have because I want to try it before making my own.

Posts: 68 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 13 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
John, we've decided to make the lube extra temp hardy just for the applications you have indicated. Because so many different situations are expected, we will also keep it on softer side to make sure it will go through the weakest of luber machines. We will try to adjust to minimize tackiness while keeping viscosity good enough for the longer rifle barrels too. Everyone should realize that this lube will be further adjustable once received and upon asking what to do to fix a certain problem. ... felix