Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: ideas to capture bullets w/o damage
 Login/Join

posted
My uncle built a long open top box and filled it with wet newspapers. It seemed to work quite will, and you can pick up all those junk papers around the neighborhood!!

Posts: 7 | Location: kansas city | Registered: 15 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Styrofoam, Tim?

Maybe a foot to slow the bullet down and then alternating sheets of foam and cardboard?

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Well, my previous post on this got lost in the ozone.

Load a few grains of Red Dot, and shoot into some rags. You don't need full velocity to capture a bullet.

But what's the challange in that? It's too easy!

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be careful about using a swimming pool. I shot my 10/22 into 7 or 8 feet of water (however deep our pool was*) and recovered mushroomed bullets.

H. C.

*I was 18 at the time. I want to emphasize that I know better now and had better not catch any 18-year old child of mine doing something so stupid, so they'd better do it while I'm at work and not get caught.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
I use the swimming pool, and it works only when a boolit just drops out of the barrel, say 2 grains of BE with toilet paper against the powder. Shoot at a 45 degree angle to further help against frontal expansion/distortion. The boolits will easily go to 12 feet with gusto, even with this low of a charge. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As a teenager I used to shoot all kinds of rifles into the pond to stop the boolets. They'd mushroom too, but not on the bottom - hitting the water was enough. Only took about 4 to 6 feet of water.

On the other hand, at our local community college, the tank for collecting (pistol) boolets has been dented (with my TC in .430jdj) with a reduced load). It was a 4x4x4 cube filled with water. Hard cast doesn't mushroom much on water entry.

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about an open 55 gal. drum, filled with water? shoot into it from a ladder, or off the house. Not deep enough? weld two together, end-to-end. Water will cause bullets to expand, though, if the bullet's velocity is high enough.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
like trk said the best ive found is snow.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi All! many good ideas... I have a copy of 'The Bullets Flight'...but who did I loan that to?....Hmmm..I'm old enough to know better....

I really need a setup to do maybe 100's of bullets. I'd like to do a 'load data'/velocity/group size/bullet inspection/digital picture of fired bullets.... for several loads. This just to satisfy my natural curosity about bullet design....

Will we have to take up golf if it becomes boring....?

Posts: 301 | Location: Xenia,Il. 62899 | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote