New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on paper patching
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is the best paper for patching lead bullets for a 45-70. I have heard of using several types of paper including ZigZag rolling papers.

Posts: 321 | Location: Tulsa, Ok. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A question only you and your rifle can answer.
For the .45-70 I prefer the 100% cotton Bond paper. My Father prefers onion skin.
I prefer to roll thick paper, my Dad likes the thin paper.
For the .45-70 I am using a lighter hunting bullet with smokeless powder - the NEI #278 .443 dia. 410 grain PP bullet. My Dad uses a heavier bullet and black powder.
You can also aquestion whether there is a real difference between folding and twisting the paper tails. With some loads in the .30 calibers folded tails seem to work better with smokeless powder.

Posts: 36 | Location: San Angelo Texas | Registered: 21 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dennis,
The best paper depends only on your bullet size, your bore and groove diameters, and the type of powder you are using.

In other words, fill in all the above, and then a recommendation can be made. But the short hand is that if you are using real powder (black stuff), you can go with a bullet that is bore diameter after patching or groove diameter +0.001-0.002".

If you are shooting smokeless, you need to end up with a bullet that is the latter diameter after patching.

Personally, I like cooking parchment paper or Eaton's 9 pound 25% cotton airmail paper.

Brent

PS. See http://www.iastate.edu/~codi/PPB/PPB.html
For more info

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Slim from San Angelo Texas from Carpetman san angelo texas.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
My 45/70 PP mould is an adjustable one from 380gn to 520gn. The finished diameter is .450 and has a hollow base for tucking in the paper fold.
I use a 50gms 'Bank' paper available from good stores or scrapbook stores. This paper is .0025 thick and 2 full wraps finishes at .460 dia
A 520gn, loaded in my 45/120 with 115gn FFG gives a velocity is 1366fps.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Might try wrapping them with teflon tape, just to be different. If you run the boolits throught a sizer after wrapping any excess sort of slides off. Makes sort of a neat white cloud of tiny bits of teflon when you fire it.

Posts: 33 | Location: the dalles, orygun | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote