New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-30 cast bullet accuracy load
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have a good accuracy load for plain base factory hard cast 150 and 170 gr. bullets in the 30-30? I am using a Browning 1885, Rem. 788 and some 1894s. Thanks.

Posts: 402 | Location: Hurricane Central, FL | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
What selection of powders do you have available that you want to try??

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LouisB: I have H4895, 3031, IMR4198, H335, 4227, and a few others that might work. Thanks.

Posts: 402 | Location: Hurricane Central, FL | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tanker, the faster rifle powders you have can be used. But you specified that you are using a PLAIN BASE bullet (no gas check).

Pistol powder like Unique might work better.

I've used H4895 and H4198 with plain based bullets in .30-30. Poor accuracy. Got better results using Unique with the PLAIN BASE for plinker loads.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could use Trail Boss or 2400 but I wanted between 1400 and 1800 fps. and good density without fillers. There should be some good match loads in this range.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used 15 grains of 2400 with a 165 cast bullet in three differant 30-30's with good sucess.That load does about 1550fps and is accurate in the three guns.No fillers were used.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had good success with 2400 years ago in the 45-70 but have since been concerned about air space. I try to use powders that fill the case better. If there is no cause for concern, I may go back to 2400. Brian Pearce recommended H4895 in his article in Handloader. I know the match shooters must have a prefered load even though I'm sure they cast their own.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tanker:
I could use Trail Boss or 2400 but I wanted between 1400 and 1800 fps. and good density without fillers. There should be some good match loads in this range.

Tanker,IMR Trail Boss is probably one of the better powders for using with a plain based lead bullets in the .30-30. BUT, you aren't going to get close to 1,800 fps.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend shooting plain base lead bullets faster than 1,400 fps. because of excess leading.

Click on the Trail Boss link above if you're interested in loads up to 1,200 fps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DaMan: I use SGC so I have little worries with leading but I do have problems when using bottleneck cases. I have to make sure I have enough density of powder or enough neck left to keep the SGC in place. Trail Boss may be the only answer. I do have some. I just knew the speeds would be low and I have not gotten any stellar groups with it. Thanks for the link to Trail Boss.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahaaa! So you ARE using gas checks! That makes things easier!

I wouldn't worry TOO much about how full the powder fills the case. Sure.... a full case of powder makes for more uniform ignition, but it's possible to find an accurate load that doesn't come close to filling up the case.

A powder that might meet you needs (and better fill up the case) is AA5744.

This is a very bulky powder that is quite flexible in the .30-30. It can be used with both gas checked bullets AND plain base bullets.

The Laser-Cast manual lists AA-5744 (XMP-5744) for use with their 170gr. FPGC bullet. 17.8gr gives 1,654 fps and 20.1 gives 1,813 fps in a 20" barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had very good results with Red Dot and a plain base 170g Magnus bullet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DaMan: Soft Gas Check (SGC) is a wax wad. It requires a straight case or a full case to keep the wad in place.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Though we chit-chat about cast bullets here, the boolit exspurts normally can be found at

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/

I find web sites are like loading manuals. All have information and each has strong and weak points!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may be optimistic to want 1800 fps from a plain-base bullet although it might work if the bullet is sufficiently hard. I shoot soft (1-25) PB bullets in .32-40 at appr. 1450 fps with great results. The load is 14.7 gr IMR 4227. I know one gent(?) who has gone as high as 1700 fps with a soft PB bullet with no leading but the accuracy wasn't there so he backed down on the speed.
You MAY be able to get good results with hard bullets and a slower powder like 3031 or maybe 4895 and approach the velocity you desire.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I mentioned I was interested in speeds between 1400 and 1800. I don't have to be at the top end.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tanker, I had really good results with 19.5 grains of AA5744 in a Marlin 336. I shot both the Lyman 311291 and the 31141, and was able to get five shot groups down to ~1.5" at 100 yards off a bench, using a scoped rifle. No filler, but I was using crimp on gas checked bullets, of course. I never chronographed anything, felt like if I put that hard cast bullet where it was supposed to go, it would do the job out to about 150 yards.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to slug the bore and groove dimensions of all the rifles you are loading for.

Check the first inch of rifling at the muzzle and the chamber. Then push a sinker or round ball all the way through to check for tight spots.
The ideal condition is for the bore to get slightly smaller from the breech to the muzzle with no tight spots, but don't hold your breath.
Then be sure your bullets are at least .001 over size for the throat end of the rifling. If you have to compromise on the bullet size you will only wind up with plinking quality loads.
Get the Lyman Cast bullet Manual for data and go to Cast Boolits for the best advice.
For lower velocity loads Alliant shotgun powders are good. If you have to hit the top end try 4759 or XMP 5744.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote