THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: sizing pointed bullets in Lee sizers?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Newtire, Sizing multiple pointy CB's in the Lee die is not a good idea. You can do this though with little additional cost, except slower production, by using a short piece of 1/4" dowel (adjust length to suit or ~2.5") on the top punch. Size the first CB normally. Then use the dowel to push it up and out of the die and I presume into the red plastic box. Repeat the process ad infinitum. ...Maven

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not a problem for me. My Lee sizer pops each bullet all the way through the sizing portion before the next one goes in. If it did not, I would just make up a longer pedestal that did. It's a lot easier to make a pedestal than a fitted nose punch.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Newtire...Long time since we've talked. On the pointy bullets. Have a machinist open a Lyman 7/8 X 14 adapter to accept your Lyman/RCBS sizing dies. use a 4-40 set screw to secure them in the adapter.

Aneal a RCBS shell holder and drill and tap for 5/16 X 18 TPI bolt. Turn these to the diameter of your sizer or at least turn the heads in the case of .358s and above.

Then use this rig in your press as a nose first sizer similar to a Lee push thru sizer. Then you come back and lube in a normal sizer lubricator and you'll have perfectly sized bullets with pointy noses and really flat GCs./beagle

Posts: 234 | Location: Lexington, Ky,USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna side w/ LeftoverDJ on this one. I dunno how many pointies I've pushed through my Lee sizing dies and not the first one was affected by the preceeding or following round. I've also found that the gas checks are crimped on nice and flat using the Lee dies.

Posts: 234 | Location: 40 miles east of Dallas | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My way around this problem was to make a longer push rod that goes in the press ram that let's the bullet clear the sizing part of the die. SLW

Posts: 59 | Location: 15758 Butte Mt. Rd. Jackson CA. 95642 | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Weyill,
As usual, all good advice. I made up a longer punch out of a bolt once but it tended to get all sideways on me so maybe if I got it to fit the base better that might work. I'll try & get the ol' Lyman 450 cleaned up this winter & try the thing out again. Maybe even get a fancy base heater & try something other than Liquid Alox. Made a batch of Felix lube that I melted & stood the bullets up in & cut em out with my old Lee cake cutter but would be good to get with the program & make up some sticks for the Lyman with my Felix-Lube.
By the way, I just graduated to a bottom pour pot about a month ago. I got the Lee 20 pounder with the tall base. Leaked like a sieve first go around, got better the second, and now never leaks even a dribble. Just a little twisting on the needle and she's good! Wow! reminds me of when I drove around all winter with no heater in my '63 Meteor and after buying a $25.00 heater core, wondered why I waited so long.
Picked up a new cast bullet rifle. (or at least I hope so). It's a single shot 30-06 Wickliffe. Mighty tight chamber & real .308"X.300" bore so will have to tweak things a bit. Throat's too short to shoot my 311290 bullet that shot so good in my old trusty Springfield without making the bullet go way way into the powder space. In fact, the Lee 180 gr. is too long. Got a whole slew of other moulds to try including an RCBS 165 gr. silhouette so am hoping to be able to find some good loads for it. I used 25.5gr. RX-7 with that 311290 and was wondering which way to go. I have a bunch of different medium rate powders to try.
Sorry, way off topic! As usual, gotta get back to work. Yes, I'm still alive & kickin. Good to see you guys are too!

Thanks alot guys,
Newtire

Posts: 128 | Location: Star, Idaho | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Newtire,
Don't bother with making up sticks of FWFL for your sizer. I did that when they made up the big batch. It was a PIA! When I was finished, I went to pour the remaining bit of melted lube in the sizer, and a very dim light went on in my head. Making up the lube sticks was wasted effort! Just melt some, & pour the dang luber full! Hardly takes longer than putting in a stick! FWIW!

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beagle...

I was just thinkin' about doing what you've suggested with the lyman sizer dies in a press. My problem is I cast some beafy .454 boolits, and my little Ideal mod. 45 can't take it, so I size in the Lee, and lube in the Ideal.

But I was thinking... why couldn't a guy take it one step further and make a super luber press out of a reloading press? I bet it could be done, and then you wouldn't worry about them breakin'.

I'm invisioning milling out a cavity around where the die sits, then tap a few holes for grease that could be fed from a ziric hand pump auto grease gun. Pour in your WFFL and there you go!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Beagle...

I was just thinkin' about doing what you've suggested with the lyman sizer dies in a press. My problem is I cast some beafy .454 boolits, and my little Ideal mod. 45 can't take it, so I size in the Lee, and lube in the Ideal.

But I was thinking... why couldn't a guy take it one step further and make a super luber press out of a reloading press? I bet it could be done, and then you wouldn't worry about them breakin'.

I'm invisioning milling out a cavity around where the die sits, then tap a few holes for grease that could be fed from a ziric hand pump auto grease gun. Pour in your WFFL and there you go!

MLvr,
I LOVE the idea! I've been avoiding getting one of the dedicated lubrisizers. $100 down,,,,, and then all them dang expensive different dies and punches for every boolit and caliber. Sheesh, I can buy another Marlin .
The Lee sizing/check dies work fine for me, and the price is right. I'll 'speriment with the now 'surplus to requirements' Lee D Press, the Challenger I think it is. .I'm now running a manual index 4 hole turret, and that's a VERY good thing! Anneal and drill a Lee sizing die with ur idea of D&Ting the press.
Thinking out loud here, lol, get some Lee dies before they heat treat 'em mebbe.
I find pan lubing effective, but slow, and the tumble lubing does get messy.
Great idea!
Cheers,
R*2

Posts: 129 | Location: NorthEast | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Russel,

Milling out a Lee Challenger press, or any of the Lee aluminum presses would be easy. Course you'd have to be careful not to disturb the structual integrity of such, but if you goofed it up- so what?, they're cheap.

If you used Beagle's instructions but machined out the threads in the press, made a sleeve housing to fit, and that would hold a Lyman die, milled out a grease channel in the Lee and sleeve to send grease to the die, then connect a grease gun to the press by ziric you'd have a mean machine.

If fact, I'm supprised Lee hasn't produced a nice press like this?

This is a job for DE "Dale" Hillyer... ��

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been playing with a similar notion. "Ziric" means nothing to me, but if it is an adjustable metered grease pump, it's exactly what I have been looking for. The trick to making the the thing work is being able to dispense exactly the amount of lube needed to fill the grooves at each stroke. Any constant pressure device is gonna leak between bullets unless you get real tricky.

Fill me in on this, please.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think he means Zerk fitting, the round thing the grease gun fits onto to make a grease tight connection. (Old cars had a zillion of them now the new cars have rubber and sealed lube points.

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To throw a couple of more ideas in the pot, you could base your gadget on a Lee turret to avoid altering the press itself. Be kinda neat to be able to just snap your lubrisizer into the press. My Rockchucker has an insert to take the 7/8x14 dies that can be taken out to take larger dies. Build your adapter to the larger thread size and you have some room to work with.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bug--Good advice about not bothering to make FWFBL into sticks. I cooked up my batch in a coffee can and store it in the same can with lid on it. When I use it,I just blob it in without remelting it--works fine even in cold weather--yea I know,we don't have cold weather in Texas.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote