Find
Notify
Tools

500 Jeffery Bullet Mold
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brad aka Pill Shooter
posted
I did my research and read the old posts. Most of the cast bullet makers are either out of cheap lead or not taking orders right now. What I need is a good mold for my 500 Jeffery. I'm looking for about 570grns to match my Woodliegh .510 solids. If someone has already designed a mold I'd be haapy to order one from mountain molds. I'd like to shoot around 2150fps so I'm assuming I'll need to use a gas check. If someone has a good mold design or knows a good place to get a good mold I'd really appreciate the help.

Thanks

Brad Smiler

Posts: 619 | Location: Sherwood, Oregon USA | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brad,

if you are mostly concerned with a quality mould, I would suggest Steve Brooks out of Walkerville, MT. He can cut what you want, since he tracer-bores them on CNC equipment. As you likely know Hornady makes .50 caliber gas checks. Let me know and I can get Steve a few to insure a good fit on the shank.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich:

Thanks for the info. I saw that you and Jeff had been discussing this a few years back. What I really would like is a mold that is good to go. I have limited experience with centerfire cast bullet shooting and can't really afford to shoot Woodlieghs at paper given how much they cost these days. Also can you tell me what you are using so when I contact him I can give him a heads up of what I want. I agree that getting a good mold is the best way to start. I have also attached the replys I got last night just in case anyone reading this post wants an update on two casters that were recommended in the past.

From Rich - LTD Custom Cast Bullets <rich@customcastbullets.com>
not doing bullets anymore as i am moving to colorodo

Daniel Congiolosi <bullshop@wildak.net>
G'Day Brad
We are not taking orders now. I may get some casting done as we go through
the summer season on rainy days that I cant work outside. It would be very
limited and no guaranty when I could get them out. I don't have a mold as you describe so it would have to be your mold.
50 cal gas check bullets at 570gn would run $30.00 per 100
BIC/Daniel

Thanks Brad Smiler

Posts: 619 | Location: Sherwood, Oregon USA | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to
www.neihandtools.com
and look at page 13 of their catalog, existing moulds to order. One of the biggest selections around. Close enough on any of these? That 550-grain gas-checked .510 might do for me. Third from left in top row:

I have purchased that 680-grain gas-checked .511 "tall block" double cavity mould.
Not being retired, I have not had time to cast with it yet. Wink
Mine is aluminum, you can get it in iron/steel for a few bucks more.
Good moulds off the shelf and deliver in 4 to 6 weeks.
While we are gandering:

And so on and so on ...

There are some glaring omissons at NEI, like a .510/570grGC and a .475/500grGC, but there are some real treasures if you look at the other pages, like a .396/240grGC, perfect for replicating 400NFBP3" loads. thumb

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP:

Thanks for the information. I found this outfit a few weeks ago but lost the reference. I saw that particular mould and was hoping that someone could give me a first hand report on it. I assume you are happy with the quaility of what you received? I am not a bullet designer. I wish that there were more off the shelf designs that could be recommended for those of us new to the fold. Like a cross reference of mold recomendations for standard calibers ie good 416,458,500. For that matter someone should write a small book on cast bullets for big bores (bullets,molds,loads...)

Thanks Again

Brad clap

Update 5/14/08
Brad,
We can do that for you. We need the bore and groove diameters of your
rifle. Samples of the gas checks you are going to use. I would say a round
or flat nose would work well. Three grease grooves plus the groove in front
of the gas check should be fine.
We are currently delivering in less than 3 weeks from the time we receive
your payment. Personal checks are fine and we accept Pay Pal payments. For
Pay Pal notify us and we will e-mail you an invoice. The total will be
$150.00 including S+H. Our moulds are made for Saeco handles which are
available from Midway or Buffalo arms.

Our address is:

1610 Dunn Avenue

Walkerville Mt. 59701.

Thanks,

Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will happily go on record and say that Steve Brooks makes the finest bullet moulds in the world. A workingman's price, and currently three weeks (NOT MONTHS!)delivery. He also turns out some of the finest damascus knives I have ever covetously handled.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's where I'm at.

Brad,

This is a 575gr .511â€. Imagine it with a gas check.

The nose .498â€

The driving bands .511+â€

Thanks,

Steve

Smiler