Find
Notify
Tools

So what is a 2D bullet?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sky C.
posted
I've read the term a number of times but have yet to find a definition for it.

So.. What exactly is a 2 Diameter bullet design?

Thanks-

Sky C.

Posts: 103 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ogive of the nose is twice the diameter of the bullet. Slightly pointed in plain English.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sky C.:
I've read the term a number of times but have yet to find a definition for it.

So.. What exactly is a 2 Diameter bullet design?

Thanks-

Sky C.

Sky a two diamenter bullet is the baseband larger than the other drivers on the bullet. Normally heard in Schutzen circles, those fella's employ all sorts of combinations. The the three diamenter is said to be more accurate for their purposes-- a bullet where usually only the last three drivers ride the full dia of the grooves. The front drivers are under groove dia and vary three dia's for measurement.

The HBC-A we're cutting for the Lee custom mold will be a 3 dia design.

Normally when ogive dimensions are expressed per spitzers designs their stated in calibers.

[ 12-07-2003, 17:19: Message edited by: aladin ]

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Aladin. I shoulda seen there was another way to read the question and another answer.

Been messing with too many Lee moulds, I quess.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sky,
I loosely use the term to refer to any bullet that has bands or sections with a smaller diameter than the rest of the bullet.

For example, many of the bullets designed for lever actions are 2-diameter, with an undersize front band that allows the bullet to chamber in short throats.

I think of a bore riding bullet as 2-diameter, too, though I usually just call it a bore rider.

Posts: 97 | Location: Pocatello, ID | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote