New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saeco versus Lyman sizers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have an old Lyman 450 bullet sizer. Was just given a Saeco sizer about 10 -15 years old but not very much used.

What are the advantages of one over the other?

Thanks,

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M Starling:

You ask:

(I) Have an old Lyman 450 bullet sizer. Was just given a Saeco sizer about 10 -15 years old but not very much used.

What are the advantages of one over the other?

F: Everyone will have something to say about which sizer is best. Naturally.

I have used the SAECO sizer for many years and tens of thousands of bullets have been sized through it.

I like the alignment system of SAECO better than either Lyman or RCBS, not only for the way the bullets are centered in the die/ram unit but the way the nose punches themselves are designed and attached to the tool. It all seems a good deal more solid and reliable than the way Lyman/RCBS tools.

In all the sizing I have done with this tool I have never had to do any maintenance beyond the normal cleaning any such machine needs from time to time. This is a rugged item given the amount of use it has seen.

I like the spring-loaded lube feed SAECO uses for feeding lube to the bullets. This system allows one to keep on running bullets through the tool without always being required to crank on the lube reservoir every single cycle of the ram. Just a crank every ten bullets or so is all you need.

Either tool will handle bullets of reasonable length. My SAECO has reached its limit at 1.460. Any longer and I'll be back to pan-lubing.

Good evening,
Forrest

Posts: 246 | Location: Northern Wyoming | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote