Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

hunting with cast bullets .30 cal
 Login/Join

posted
Gentlemen, I would apreciate your opinion about this: I stepped on a very accurate load in my BRNO .308 rifle - a R.N. 180 grain bullet cast from Lyman n. 2 alloy. 5 shot groups of 0.5 inch at 100 yds are the norm, and I am tempted to hunt with them, whitetail deer, not very large. The muzzle velocity is around 1800 fps, and I intend to keep my shots to a maximum of 120 yds. What can I expect in terms of killing performance from this scheme? Thanks in advance.

"Abstinence is the oddest of sexual perversions"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is this a serious question or are you bragging? (VBG)

I'm impressed. Round nose, 180gr, steppin' right along and right-much accurate! Softer boolet will be better for expansion.

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most prefer a flatnosed bullet, but a soft round nose should do the trick. At your velocity, you should probably be able to stretch out your range to 150-160 yards with no problem for deer.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One could flatten the nose just a bit by simply changing the top punch when sizing/lubing/checking. Assuming that a lube-sizer is being used.

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been killing deer, pigs, coyotes and ground hogs with a lyman 311041 bullet at around 2100 fps out of contenders and a Remington 788 for about 20 years. Lube is LBT blue with Hornady gas checks. Anything within 200 yards is as good as dead, the bullet kills all out of proportion to the caliber. Wound channels look just like a 44 mag on pigs and deer. Ground hogs die on the spot. Actually destroys more pelt on a coyote than optimal.

regards,
graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had my eye on that mold for a while. What's your alloy and load?

Posts: 109 | Location: NE,TN | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My pleasure, Catmandu. Alloy is wheelweights plus 4%tin. I use Hornady gas checks. Hardness is around 14 brinell. After sizing diameter is .3095". I lube them bullets with Lee's liquid Alox only, and do it twice. Leading is minimal, and shows itself on groups well after 30+ shots, what is quite odd, since this rifle's barrel starts to show some erosion evidence at the throat.
The load is 26 grains of IMR 3031, CCI primers, in military brass. I guess 28 grains would do the same results in terms of velocity when using commercial brass.