THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone cast for the .300 Winchester Magnum?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I love shooting cast bullets so much, I'd like to try shooting cast in my 300 Win with standard rifle primers, and reduced (obviously) loads.

I've got a Ruger No. 1, and it fits like a glove, but the big magnum 200 gr loads tend to wear me out.

Anybody have any experience with this baby and lead?

Patrick

one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
I have no personal experience with a case that large with cast, but I will tell you what you can do as I would if you were here with me. First, get a can of some real slow ball powder, like the 50 caliber machine gun stuff. H870 comes to mind, as well as the military version called WC872 or WC860. Use a standard primer with 50 grains of this slow stuff as a starter, topped off with that plastic shotgun buffer powder. Do not compress, but fill to base of boolit of 180 to 220 grains. Shoot 3 to see if recoil and accuracy are satisfactory. If you can take more punishment, add the machine gun powder in 5 grain increments until satisfaction is met. Always use the buffer. I could be that accuracy begins to fall off as the powder is incremented, but not likely. If so, then use 3 grains of 3031 or 4198 against the primer for a flame extender into the slow powder, and redo starting at 50 grains of the machine gun powder. Don't try shooting this slow powder without the filler because of possible multiple pressure spikes. If you have a chrono, seek 2200-2400 fps for your thrills, otherwise remain at 1800 or so. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THanks Felix!! That looks like a very interesting experiment, and I have a strong Ruger #1 to use, so I would feel a little safer.

It's an honor to have you respond to my post- specially from someone that is so very well respected and praised for great contributions to the cast shooting sport..

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot cast in 3 300 WM rifles. Ruger #1, Rem 40X, Savage Tactical.The 311299 sized .312, NRA Alox lubed and gas checked. First load is (I think) from Glenn Latham, I got it from the Fouling Shot years ago. 24/IMR4227 and Rem 2 1/2 primer. Second load is 17/Unique, Dacron (or TP if you choose)tamped down on powder, Rem 2 1/2 primer. Both shot about 1" for five shots at 100 yards, a little over 2" at 200 yards.

Posts: 51 | Location: Marathon, FL | Registered: 03 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Felix, in my .300 Weatherby Magnum a case full of WC860 to the base of the bullet gives right at 3000 FPS {from a 24" barrel) with a Speer 200 grain jacketed. Might be a bit fast for cast.

I'm planning on experimenting with that 200 grain HBC with loads in the 60 grain neighborhood of 7383, but haven't gotten that round tuit I've been looking for.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Yeah, man, a case full would be way too much, even for that slow powder. Must drop it down to around 50-60 grains, topped off with plastic shotgun filler. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another alternative that I use (in smaller capacity .30 cal cases) would be a lighter bullet with a paper patch as discussed by C.E. Harris in the NRA book CAST BULLETS. (.300 Win Mag pp.108-109.)

one of us
posted Hide Post
No experience on the .300 Win Mag but I have shot a bunch of .30-338 and it's not that much difference.

Reloader 7 allowed me to run 200 grainers at 2,000 FPS. Almost any of the medium burn cast powders work in it.

Really, it's pleasant to shoot at 2,000 FPS. Give it a try./beagle

Posts: 234 | Location: Lexington, Ky,USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Another alternative that I use (in smaller capacity .30 cal cases) would be a lighter bullet with a paper patch as discussed by C.E. Harris in the NRA book CAST BULLETS. (.300 Win Mag pp.108-109.)

Thanks for the tips, guys. Shooting a fine single shot rifle with a nice cast boolit... does it get any better than that?