New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Free Check- gascheck maker...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a couple of them. Originally, they were to make a single layer aluminum gas check for a plain base bullet. They also made a version for gas check bullets that used two or three aluminum layers to fit the gas check shank properly. The gas check version would require you to copy the original design. The plain base version can be made quite easily by another version: ie pick a wad cutter (from Buffalo arms or the press mounted version) that is about .020" larger than the PB bullet diameter, punch out alot of aluminum can discs, take your bullet sizing die and machine out the top to the disc diameter about two discs thicknesses deep and polish the tapered entry into the die very well where no sharp edges remain, make a disc that just fits into the die retaining ring and have a concentric hole for the unsized bullet in its center. Put a disc in the recess, put the ring on and then the bullet and size. The PB version is simple to make for any size flat base bullet on any decent lathe. The gas check version is alot tougher to make!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do any members have a "Freecheck" gascheck maker?

I'd like to make my own since I'm learning how to use a metal lathe. I was thinking they are probably a 2 part tool- some kind of male/female punch and die where the die would cut the check as it's formed.

Anyone know how these things work?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I made my own gascheck maker a few years ago for .30 cal. Makes checks from alum. sheets used in printing. Works wonderful. Give me an email addy & i'll send you piks. Dale

Posts: 301 | Location: Xenia,Il. 62899 | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote