Notify
Tools

Mould recommendation - unusual calibers
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted
Dear Reloaders and Casters!

What bullet moulds do you recommend for the .380 Corto, Kurz, ACP, and which ones for the 7,65 mm Luger ( Parabellum ) and 7,62 mm Mauser?

Is it without problems ( ogive of the bullet ) possible to use 105 ( LEE ) or 115 grs bullets in the .380?

Which bullets ( and which alloys ) have a nice cutting shoulder and feed well ( and withstand the pressures and velocities ) in the "quick" 30 cals?

Thanx in advance, H

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 337 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I happily shoot the Lee 356-105-R in an OMC Backup.

I don't have a hot .30, but if I did, I'd see if the Lee C309-113-RF would work since I have a six cavity from a group buy.

It is a good citizen's duty to love the country and hate the gubmint.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 4 7.65 Luger pistols, three which aren't P08's, a 32 acp PP Walther, and two 7.62x25 Tokarev's that I shoot the Lee 311-100 2R out of, except for the 32 acp. In addition I made myself a mold for the 7.65 Luger that I copied the RCBS truncated cone nose bullet with a single lube groove that is for a 9mm Luger. The Lee bullet shoots absolutely accurate in all my pistols and my bullet is also very accurate and better for small game hunting with it's flat meplat.

In the 7.65 Luger my normal plinking load is either of the two afore mentioned bullets over 4.0 grs of Unique.

One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

I thought about the LEE 105 grs SWC, which is listed under .38 & .357 Moulds, with the special title: "works great in 9mm Luger".

I could use it "as is" for plinking with the 9 mm´s, but drill a Hollow Point with the Forster Hollow pointer ( which I already have ), which should bring the weight to somewhere from 95 to 100 grs and use it such as defensive bullet in the .380, eventually also for my .38 Colt snubby, at +P loads.

Of course, I would also try it as defensive load in my 9 mm´s, if hard enough hopefully it won´t lead too much!

H

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 337 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by starmetal:
In addition I made myself a mold for the 7.65 Luger that I copied the RCBS truncated cone nose bullet with a single lube groove that is for a 9mm Luger. The Lee bullet shoots absolutely accurate in all my pistols and my bullet is also very accurate and better for small game hunting with it's flat meplat.

In the 7.65 Luger my normal plinking load is either of the two afore mentioned bullets over 4.0 grs of Unique.

I was thinking along exactly those lines. A swc, perhaps hollow pointed for the ( realtively few )defensive cartridges.

And I like Unique in Handgun loads, as it gives high velocities, and there´s lots of ( old, too ) data around. Might not be the cleanest burning, but I heard, that´s changed?

Do you have a drawing of your special bullet?

( and just for curiousity: you have 4 "Luger´s", of which 3 are NOT 08`s??? Swiss or Bulgarian models? I personally would LOVE one of those Mauser Parabellums in 7.65! I got one in 9mm, but missed its sister with 6" barrel in 7.65, the price went through the roof. Will look in the future, too, also for BHP and P 38 and P 5 in 7.65 ... )

H

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Luger is a P08 Commercial model with the 3 5/8 barrel. The nest pistol is a Browning Hi Power with a Browning 7.65 barrel, the third is a Benelli Model 80B (this puppy really shoots), and the last is a 1911 Colt complete upper slide/barrel assembly in which I made the barrel myself and chambered it. I swap it off and on my 70 Series Gold Cup frame.

This evening I'll take a picture of that bullet which I made the mould for and post it for you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok here's a picture. It's the bullet on the right. I then made another mold for the 32 acp in the same style, but lighter. That of course is the one on the left.

Joe

One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
Those look not bad!

Long parallel sides for accuracy, and a big meplat! As long as it does feed well, that big meplat is a plus.

But I definitely would want a CUTTING SHOULDER.

Located so, it corresponds with the case´s end, perhaps 1/2 mm seated out.

Anybody got any ideas for the .30 cal one, for the 9 mm´s please see the other thread.

Thanks to all, H

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That bullet feeds out of all four of my pistols. I've heard Lugers are particularly hard to feed, but it feeds that bullet without any problems. I noticed while shooting paper target the bullet cuts a bigger hole then the diameter of that flat nose.

One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
I want the cutting edge especially for target use.

For defensive use ( no, I don´t live in an particular dangerous environment; just to the contrary ) I want either a cutting edge or I would "hollow point" the bullet, which should just work fine with your bullet designs.

As I also post at ARFcom, I want both, of course ;-)

I fear the moment, Fiocchi stops production of that excellent 7.65 Para JSP load ... and until now, I didn´t get any!

H

one of us
posted Hide Post
There's plenty of data around for bullets to 125 grains in the .380 so they work in at least some pistols. There are also plenty of warnings about tight chambers and cases with wall that taper too quickly so they don't work in some pistols. It's a try it and see deal on your 115s.

I've shot a handful of 125s in my Backup, and they worked fine, but it's a light pocket piece and straight blowback so I prefer the lighter bullets.

It is a good citizen's duty to love the country and hate the gubmint.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
I couldn´t agree more!

Ive heard about the slope of the bullet vs Case edge problem, too; therefore ( and because of intrinsic accuracy ) I want a long, straight driving band.

And I do not intend to go up as far as 125 grs in the 380, the velocity will be far too low!

But in a "compromise" bullet weight for .380 and 9 mm ( and eventually .38 spl ) I think 105 or 115 grs might be acceptable.

Good shooting, Hermann