New
Find
Notify
Tools

Made meat today
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Tain't much eating, but I did get a grouse with my Combat Commander this morning. Load was 200 gr. SWC, with 7.5 gr. Unique.

-

And I obviously can't make the pictures work on this site, either!

http://www.geocities.com/waksupi1/grouse.jpg

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Making meat is good. Congratulations, Ric.
Sure would like to be able to see that picture.

BTW, I shoot a Combat Commander too, though only factory loads so far.

Ernie

Posts: 52 | Location: Spring Creek, NV | Registered: 18 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wak...I shoot a combat commander too but mine is a very limited edition Colt because it's a stainless steel Gold Cup Combat Commander and it's all tuned. That load of yours is a pretty stout one, not max but stout.

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ernie, you can click on the link in the first post for a picture.

Yes, it's a fair load. It is what I carry day in and day out for social purposes. The Commander has been worked on considerably over the years. Trigger change, barrel throating, extended slide release, beavertail safety, couple other things done to it, slicked up and tuned by Andy Cannon.

I shoot the same loads in my .45 Argentina. Can't wait for that BD mold, they both love them, in particular the Commander!

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oops! Yahoo pulled the picture! Apparently they won't allow pictures sent outside of thier domain!
Maybe that is why I've been having trouble trying to post pictures. I'm cheap there has to be a free and easy place to stash pics on the web.

Where are you, you waskaly web wabbit?

If you want a pic, email me at waksupi@aboutmontana.net

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I'm at www.fortunecity.com they have free web space and I seem to be able to post pics here from it.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ric,

I just pulled up the picture with no problem. You must be one hell of a wing shot?

Mike

[ 09-23-2003, 15:31: Message edited by: maxthompson ]

Posts: 64 | Location: Charleston, sc | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wak, you already know what my gun is but didn't tell you what has been done on it: Slide tightened and matched to frame, trigger work, extended beavertail, and instead of an aftermarket match barrel Jim Clark told me to weld up the barrel and fit it that Colts barrels are every bit as good or better then his match barrels. In fact he said the only reason he doesn't use Colt barrels is that Colt won't supply them in additional lengths so that he can fit a compensator to them. After all the work was done, by myself, the gun shoots the Lyman 452488 into one ragged hole at 25 yds. Measures about an inch. I did the same thing to my blue 70 series Gold Cup, except it does have a Clark match barrel in it, and it does the same as the Combat Commander with the same load. I shot the BD bullet and although it's a good bullet it doesn't come anywheres near the accuracy that I get with the 452488. In fact I even shoot that bullet in my 45 Long Colt revolvers too and it's accurate out of them also. All the years I've heard how accurate the H&G semiwadcutters are, but I tell you this mould I have for my 452488 is deadly. Supposely it's a 195 gr but comes more close to being 200 gr. I even shoot it out of my Thompson submachinegun and my HK 45 carbine with very good results.

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Max - Yes, once they get out to 150 yards or so, I do find it more difficult to get a clean head shot with the pistol when they are on the wing and dodging through the trees. However, ground slucing is an old tradition in Montana, be it with shot gun, rifle, pistol, or bow and arrow. All are legal here, as grouse are taken as a side line to other activities. I know of no one in this area that hunts them for wing shooting sport.
However, a few years ago, the legislature made it illegal to take them by throwing rocks or sticks, which was a favored and effective method of many for the fool hens.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice shootin, I also carry a 1911 daily and making meat is what its all about [Smile]

Posts: 71 | Location: north pole , alaska | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
<Marc>
posted
Congratulations! At least somebody is making meat!

The wife and I finished out our early deer season this weekend with nothing to show for it but lots of exercise and very enjoyable time spent in the field. It is good to get away and the wife must have lost 20 lbs! We spent a total of 10 days in prime deer country and never got a decent opportunity at a buck. We saw a total of three. Bet you can't do that in Montana! I shot at one last week but later determined he was beyond the point blank range of the 7mm-08 I was carrying. The wife is ready to approve purchase of a range finder now. I am going to drag the .264 WM back out next time. There is good reason to use a flat shooting rifle in this country.

Have you tried the RCBS 35-200 in your .358? I ordered the mold and it arrived just before we left to hunt. I hope to find time to pour some this week for my .356. I am interested in how they work out in your .358.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Got a pic of Gussy over on castpics. Nice going! sundog

http://www.castpics.net/meatgetters.htm

Posts: 287 | Location: Koweta Mission, OK | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Waksupi,

I hit some block management out by Anaconda for Huns. Got a few but have to admit I was a bit startled by how much shot one could take before going down. I had to double tap a couple to bring them down. I was using my trap reloads (8 shot and moderate velocity) but I think some 6's may be in order. Are there any Block Management areas up Kalispel way for pheasants? I took my boy out for his first hunt on the grouse opener after Ruffs. It was warm and the bird dog managed to immediately stick her head in a yellow jacket nest and get them to swarm stinging my son. He cowboyed up and we continued on only for him to walk over a SECOND nest of yellowjackets 15 min later thus getting stung twice more and putting an end to our hunt. We both got drawn for Pronghorn at Red Rocks, here's hopeing the hunting gods smile upon us then. KevD

Posts: 24 | Location: Montana | Registered: 29 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
KevD - the only places that come to mind are these. There is a waterfowl management area just north of Somers, called the Blasdel farm. Very easy access, and not much pressure. There are some pheasants, ducks, geese, and the occasional hun. With a dog you may do ok. i shoot dove there with my flintlock, and an occasional pheasant. Some of the local farms have huns, and you might get permission.

On the head of the lake is also a waterfowl production area, containing a lot of upland cover. It stretches from Somers to Bigfork pretty much, so is basically about a mile deep, and nine miles wide, right along the lake. Also some good whitetail hunting,water fowl, and occasional elk and bear.

Going a bit farther south to the reservation, is the Ninepipes area. Tribasl management, so you need thier tag. Apparently good hunting, but I was always too cheap to buy the tag, and hunted private ranches where I could argue with tribal wardens as to wheter I was actually hunting the rez or not.

Want to hunt huns? Want to go to Alberta? The farm I worked on along the Little Bow River, I saw literally thousands of Huns a week. Carmangay area, north of Lethbridge.

posted Hide Post
Thanks Ric,

Boy that trip up to Canada sounds like a blast, but Canada's gun laws make me leary. KevD

Posts: 24 | Location: Montana | Registered: 29 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sundog, thanks for posting the picture. The bear was shot with a 45-100 high wall, loaded with a lyman 400 grain flat nose bullet cast in 1-30 alloy, over 85 grains of 1F Goex black powder.
Couldn't get my old handle, but I can sign it..
Gussy

Posts: 25 | Location: NW | Registered: 12 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dozer:
Sundog, thanks for posting the picture. The bear was shot with a 45-100 high wall, loaded with a lyman 400 grain flat nose bullet cast in 1-30 alloy, over 85 grains of 1F Goex black powder.
Couldn't get my old handle, but I can sign it..
Gussy

Nice going Gussy! That oughtta help a little with the calf predation problem in the Blues!--Shuz

Posts: 23 | Location: Nine Mile Falls, Wa. | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shuz, There's been a lot of bear sightings and the calf population seems to really be down this year. Reports of herds with only 50% calves. Now if I can find a cougar...
Gus

Posts: 25 | Location: NW | Registered: 12 November 2002Reply With Quote