New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mt. Baldy 404 jeffery cast bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone used these? I want to create some loads for my 404J; one for practice and one for hunting (The hunting load would be for NA non-DG, Mule deer, black bear, hog, etc). Also any charge recommendations to start with (14-1700 for target, 17-2000 fsp for hunting). Right now I have IMR4831 and R15—but I’m more powder is just a purchase away;-)

I read on this forum someone didn't care for the accuracy of the Baretooth bullets--so I'm looking for an alternative, and Mt. badly was highly regarded in an older post here regarding cast bullets for a 444 Marlin).

I'm not ready to start casting my own yet--I simply don't know enough about design, however I do want to start practicing!

Thanks,

Ronn

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Ronn, I have found my 404 to be very rewarding to cast and load for, with accuracy and velocity. I have designed my own mould and had Hoch make it for me. It is a 350gn GC that I cast in lino and for practice as far as recoil recovery for the "real thing" is concerned I load 74gn Varget for 2365fps and good accuracy.
All loads are with 215 Fed primers and testing is done at 55 yds and aperture sights.
I heat treated a 90/10 ww/lino bullet and got 2416fps over 87gn H4350 but the lino load shot better and was less bother with out the HT.
For plinking and extreme accuracy I used the lino bullet and with 63gn H4350 for 1900fps and have a couple of .3in groups. Have sent a few sample bullets to a few of other 404 shooters and they have all reported similar results.

I designed this bullet with accuracy and hunting in mind but so far have only taken a few goats with it. It has exceded my expectations in all regards.
The Hoch data for the mould is as follows.
Mould ordered/built 5 18 08
mould number is C6610 425 345

My bullet is no 6 from the left and is lubed an GC

The 3rd from left is my bullet loaded. The design allows it to be loaded to the same aol as origional jacketed but with the nose being of a dia that gives positive egagement in lead without debulleting if a round is ejected. This is what contributes to the accuracy. Meplat is for hunting effectiveness.

This is the HT 90/10 bullet at 2416fps and maybe I pulled one of the shots but this is typical of what it will do. The powder designated as 2209 is ADI 2209 which is the same powder as Hogden H4350.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2685 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I talked to the owner of Beartooth and ordered some 416 to load in my Taylor. Very informative and easy to talk with. I followed his advice and finally got to shoot them this weekend. Started loads chronoed 1550 and went 1.25 at 50yds. Last loads chronoed 1750 and went .930 at 50yds. I'll up the charges and try to get 1950-2000. If you want good info for loading cast, do yourself a favor and talk to Marshall Stanton at Beartooth.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used MT. Baldy cast for my 505 Gibbs and have been pleased.

Posts: 97 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the absolute best case scenario for cast in a big bore (over .400") is getting your timing down.
I shoot them in all mine, and I consider 2000fps and 2" groups at 50 yards plenty good.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info--really helpful stuff! I’m going to try the .423 the Mt. Baldy bullets and pick up some H4320. Three powders to play is more fun than 2 :-).

And thanks for the mold #, when I get into casting I'll definitely try a set of those first.

Ronn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use Mt Baldy hard cast for my 470 Nitro and 500 Jeffery with excellent results- accurate and clean. Propellant is a suitable charge of 5744 and these make up 90% of my practice regiment.

Posts: 395 | Location: West Coast | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Von Gruff, I've been looking for a bullet mould for my 404 and I'm thinking that the Hoch might be the answer.
Could you tell me the source for the gas checks as the 404 is an odd-ball size....someone suggested a few years ago that the 44 pistol gas checks (429) would work , but I haven't located any users to clarify that...

Posts: 98 | Location: Fraser Valley B.C. | Registered: 07 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Kevan I use 44 cal GC. I had Dave Farmer from Hoch moulds cut the heel for the slightly larger GC to crimp properly. The Hoch is a beautifully made mould.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

Posts: 2685 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is very interesting, now do you load them as-cast or do you size them and if so what size ?
I use a 550 Hoch nose-pour bullet in my 45-70 and 45-120 and will try it in the 450/348 Imp.
Pardon me for hi-jacking this most informative thread, but Hoch does make a fine mould.

By the way... Happy New Year One and All !!

Posts: 98 | Location: Fraser Valley B.C. | Registered: 07 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
The mould drops at .4245 as requested and I size to 424. I cast mostly in lino but also have a 90/10 ww/lino alloy I use both air cooled and oven HT that drops same dia. Has excellent accuracy at all val from 1800 - 2400fps, in a three different rifles, from re chambered 10.75x68's to newly barrelled 404's including euro and au barrels (LW and MAB)

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank-you for the info Sir, it is greatly appreciated !!