THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x52 carcano and cast bullets......go or no go?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey everyone!

Thinking of a trial with a 6.5 carcano with gain-twist rifling....can cast slugs hold up? Basic question I guess....will a moderate BHN 13-20 +/- range bullet handle the gain twist rifling - or will it "strip" the rifling on the bullet and result in horrible accuracy?

This question is really not just curiosity on my part...I am looking at reloading for the cartridge with cast slugs and wondering if I am waisting my time with low-cost cast target ammo or is jacketed slugs the only answer. Before I start diving in....thought I might ask around!
Thanks for the input in advance!
Eric

Posts: 62 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've done it, but kept the velocities way down. My cavalry carbine shot the lyman 268645 with 5.5 grains of Unique into a 3.25" group at 50 yards. The same rifle does about 4.5" with milsurp ammo. I've also shot the Ideal Loverin bullet in that rifle with the same charge and did about the same. In reality, I don't think I've put much more than 50 rounds through it, I did it just to see if it can be done. The rifle doesn't have much going for it and I haven't shot it in years. It was my father's first rifle, so that's why I keep it.

Posts: 39 | Location: Caribou, Maine | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info....

For the sake of trial and error I plan on casting a Lee mold .264 bullet with 5% tin mix....hopefully keep the bullet as "filled" in the mold as possible - then hand lube as cast with a GC - then shoot. Supposedly the bore is in the .264+ range. I'll slug it when I actually get my hands on this rifle.....I'm going to try like hell to get this thing to shoot cast accurately. It's a mission type calling on my part! Ultimately if I can get it to run cast like I hope to - then my young son might knock a deer down with it this comming fall.

I have read so much negative on this cartridge - and some positive. I look at it as a light recoiling medium range cheap deer slayer for a small framed person. Not to mention I love odd-ball calibers.....I'll let you all know of my progress....
Thanks
ERic

one of us
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the thoughts on power with this cartridge.
Having never played with one I am by far not an expert on it.....I only hope to experiment and learn with it. If penetration is marginal and performance is poor with cast then so be it. Never know until you try!
Thanks
Eric

one of us
posted Hide Post
Eric, One of the most knowledgeable casters I know of, Buckshot, who hangs out at www.aimoo.com, loads cast bullets in several Carcanos with good results. I know little about Carcanos, but I believe groove diameter runs about .268"! HTH, curmudgeon

Posts: 99 | Location: Livermore, CA, USA | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote