Find
Notify
Tools

Lee .430 mold 310 grain Wfn
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted
I bought one of these to fill an order and was curious if anyone here has a decent load they would like to share.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depending on the firearm 5.5 to 7.5 Redhawks, Blackhawks, a 14 inch contender a 18 in Ruger 96. I get 1280 to 1550fps With a max load of H110.

Out of 4 inch Hedhawk I get just under 1200. In my 4 inch Tracker ported barrel I load them with Herco for around 1050fps.

The H110 loads are a bit much in that lite weight revolver.

Even the slower loads well shoot through feet of bear flesh.

They come out of the mold, sized, lubed and gas checked at around 315grs using wheel weights.

I first shot them un-sized just lubed and no gas check and got another 50fps. Then I shot them lubed and gassed checked and group sizes halved.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite in my 629 .44 mag. H110, WC820, Win 296 all get it done. In a 6" bbl. 1200-1300 fps is easy, recoil is stout!
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would first post the caliber/firearm to be used in!

.44 Spl. .44 mag. .444 Marlin?

Hip

Posts: 1820 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all 3 of you!
I have 3 .44 mags 2 of which are Smith & Wesson than I don't want to shoot full house heavy loads on a regular basis so I will regulate this particular bullet to my Super Blackhawk with the 4.6" barrel. I shoot a very similar Lee bullet in a Redhawk 45acp/45 Colt that weighs in at 314 grains on average and chronos a tad bit over 1200 Fps with 23.9+ grains of H110 and it is a handful but controllable. I powder coat all my pistol bullets so leading isn't a concern. I'm thinking around 1050-1100 for this time around with the Super Blackhawk might be slightly more comfortable to shoot. Just need to find that niche with a few different powders.

Thanks Hip I should have been more specific.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Absolutely the most accurate projie I have fired out of the Super Redhawk at about1100 fps.

Long ago and I have lost the target with the powder weight reference info.
It was the OLD WC820 , that I do remember!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't shoot it in my S&W 29-2 to save the 56 year old revolver.
In my Ruger 77/44 with 17,1gr Lilgun I have taken a couple of impala and a kudu. Good bullet.

Posts: 398 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
TC
I push them at 1200 fps from my 4.2" Redhawk and they shoot very well too and smack down range like a train.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Balule
I have 2 629-4s one in a Mountain gun 4"and one is the classic 5"and I don't want to put undue stress on either of them as they were hard to aquire.
So what I do have is a Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 4.6" barrel that will be the one I use this particular bullet in as a heavy for caliber load. I'm thinking I might try Lil gun but I have about 3 # of Imr 4227. I have 2400 and H110 as well to experiment with. I want to be somewhere in the 1050-1100 fps with this load. Not at max but definitely no slouch in velocity.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Well I'm going to try a load of Imr 4227 and see how it does, I'm thinking 19.0 grains to start thinking that will put me @ 1150 fps give or take.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm thinking 19.0 grains to start thinking that will put me @ 1150 fps give or take.

1150fps is a very shoot able load

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am playing a lot now with 4227 band a MP 250gr WFN in my 29-2. It seems to be a gentle powder on my old gun which I shoot a lot.

Posts: 398 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I tried 11.0 of power pistol with 240 grain cast at 1120 fps in my Smith's and its a nice economical load that shoots as well as anything else I have tried but not sure it would be a good choice with the 310s.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
I'm thinking 19.0 grains to start thinking that will put me @ 1150 fps give or take.

So I was pretty closein velocity @ 1127 average and because it was cold and windy I didn't try for accuracy but I suspect it will be an accurate load as well, the ES was18 and SD was 7.
It wasn't to much for my 629 Mountain gun either but it definitely recoiled more than the Blackhawk.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal30 1906:
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

So I was pretty closein velocity @ 1127 average and because it was cold and windy I didn't try for accuracy but I suspect it will be an accurate load as well, the ES was18 and SD was 7.
It wasn't to much for my 629 Mountain gun either but it definitely recoiled more than the Blackhawk.

A 315 at 950fps will shoot in one side and out the other side of a 250lb black bear.

I am sure 1127fps will do the same.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I wonder just how accurate this bullet can be compared to other cast bullet designs in .44 Magnum. Thinking in terms of using it for IHMSA silhouette at our club -- one of the last two in all of Texas to regularly host silhouette.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Bill
Im not sure how accurate they are, I have just recently been loading them in my Super Blackhawk and have only run them through my chronograph. The load I developed was just a tad under 1175 fps, every firearm is different as you know but I can tell you they hit hard.