New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lead fouling a rough bore
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm thinking of trying some cast bullets in 0ne of my old hammer drillings (9.3X72) that has a little pitting in the bore. Not bad & shoots jacketed bullets fine. Any thoughts on whether I'll have a fouling problem using groove size hard cast bullets (plain base) @ 12-1400 fps? using Liquid alox lube. I was thinking of upsetting some .357 cast bullets in a swaging die to .366. Anyone else ever try this?

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At those velocities I would use a 20 or 30:1 alloy instead of "hard cast" and a black powder lube like SPG. The fouling (which should not be too bad) will be a lot eaiser to remove.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon:
At those velocities I would use a 20 or 30:1 alloy instead of "hard cast" and a black powder lube like SPG. The fouling (which should not be too bad) will be a lot eaiser to remove.

Thanks Jon, How about just using pure lead? I already cast a lot with it for ML balls. Hate to have to come up with a batch of lead that I'd never use again (if it doesn't work) , just for this test. I shoot ML competition, and at a couple of the shoots they have a BP cartridge 100 yard offhand shoot. It appears this drilling qualifies for those. I was just going to see if it would shoot decent with BP and cast to enter these 2 classes a year. It shoote great with jacketed bullets @ 2000 fps.
While I'm at it, what's the best thing these days to clean lead fouling? They seem to come out with something new every month. I've always used the Lewis remover & solvent for handguns & Shooter's Choice & a stainless brush for rifles.
Anyone here cast .366 bullets?

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can cast good bullets w/o any tin in the mix it should be fine. I've had trouble getting the bases to fill out on large (pure lead) bullets w/o tin but your experience may be different. For lead removal I keep comeing back to the "bronze screen pulled through the bore" routine. I've never found a liquid (other than pure mercury) that actually works.
Wonder what your twist rate is? The 9.3x74 sounds a lot like one of the old Winchester and Sharps BP "express" cartridges. If the twist is fairly slow you will probably want to stick with lighter (shorter) bullets.
Looks like a fun project and the BP 9.3x74 should be great 100 yard off-hand shooter. Also, for 100 yard shooting you might consider keeping the velocities down around 1200fps for accuracy and less leading.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon:
If you can cast good bullets w/o any tin in the mix it should be fine. I've had trouble getting the bases to fill out on large (pure lead) bullets w/o tin but your experience may be different. For lead removal I keep comeing back to the "bronze screen pulled through the bore" routine. I've never found a liquid (other than pure mercury) that actually works.
Wonder what your twist rate is? The 9.3x74 sounds a lot like one of the old Winchester and Sharps BP "express" cartridges. If the twist is fairly slow you will probably want to stick with lighter (shorter) bullets.
Looks like a fun project and the BP 9.3x74 should be great 100 yard off-hand shooter. Also, for 100 yard shooting you might consider keeping the velocities down around 1200fps for accuracy and less leading.

The rate is very slow @ 1:20. It does favor the lighter bullets. That's why I made the swaging die to upset .358 180 gr speer 35 rem bullets to .366. All I could find were the 9.3X74R bullets which are much heavier & they (usually) have a faster twist than the 9.3X72.